xiv

"nothing special, let me tell you that," ron replied to hermione.

"i think i might be able to change your mind on that," maddy walked up to them, now wearing red and gold instead of green and silver.

she quickly looked at draco, who was frowning at her. she nodded up to dumbledore then outside, signaling that she would inform him of what happened.

the first to react was ginny, who wrapped her arms around the new gryffindor member.

"snake," seamus mumbled. the golden trio proceeded to glare at him.

"what happened?" harry asked as they made space for her to sit.

"apparently the professors believed i was in the wrong house," she shrugged.

"welcome to another year at hogwarts!" dumbledore began, putting a pause to their conversation. "i have a few things to say, and as one of them is very serious, i think it is best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast. as you all aware after their search of the hogwarts express, our school is presently playing host to the dementors of azkaban, who are here on ministry business."

whispers were heard throughout the great hall as harry tensed up. maddy noticed and intertwined their fingers. he smiled at the small gesture.

maddy didn't want to be close to anyone, but look at her now.

ron threw a candy wrapper at her, catching her attention to show her that ginny and hermione were both staring at her's and harry's connected hands.

"they are stationed at each entrance of the grounds. while they are with us, i must make it plain that nobody is to leave the school without permission. dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises, or even invisibility cloaks," dumbledore's gaze landed on harry for a few brief seconds. "it is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. therefore, i earn each of you to give them no reason to harm you. i look to the prefects, and our new head boy and girl, to make sure no students run into these dementors. on a happier note, i am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. first, we have professor lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of defense against the dark arts teacher."

"can he finish already. im starving," maddy quietly whined, getting playfully shushed by harry.

"look at snape," ron whispered as the applause quieted down. the professor looked a bit agitated.

"secondly, i am sorry to say that professor kettleburn, our care of magical creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year to enjoy his time with his remaining limbs. however, i am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than rubeus hagrid!"

the great hall broke out into applause, thankful that the friendly giant was now a professor.

"well, i think that is everything. let the feast begin!"

                                            𓆉

"m, wait!" draco called out to the girl who was walking with ginny.

"go ahead, i'll catch up," maddy told the red-head, who nodded and ran off. "what's up?"

"what's up? you tell me what's up?" he exclaimed, pointing to her robes.

"oh this? it's nothing," she joked, attempting to change his mood.

"nah uh. we're supposed to be in this together. kinda hard when we're in rival houses."

"but we are. all the way," maddy held out her hand for a high five, which he ignored. "rude."

"what happened?"