xvi

"oh draco, does it hurt?" maddy mocked the girl who was obsessed with her best friend.

"shut up," he playfully rolled his eyes as they followed professor lupin.

they spotted the golden trio and draco scoffed before pushing her in their direction.

"i wouldn't do that if i were you, peeves. mr filch won't be very happy."

"hey iris," hermione innocently smiled.

"i hate you," maddy told ron.

"take a note of this useful spell," professor lupin said after peeves blew him a raspberry. "waddiwasi!"

the gum in the keyhole shot out and entered peeve's nose, causing him to walk away, slightly annoyed.

"brilliant," the red-head said in awe.

"thank you, mr weasley," lupin put his wand away. "alright, inside please," he told the students, gesturing to the staff room.

when they entered, snape was seen sitting on an armchair. maddy smiled at the professor, who sent her a small smile in return.

"leave the door open, lupin. i'd rather not see this. by the way, i would recommend you not to give longbottom a task with anything too difficult. it seems he cannot manage anything without miss granger whispering suggestions to him," snape dramatically stood up, his black robes wooshing behind him.

"i was planning on neville helping me with the first part of the lesson, snape, thank you."

severus looked around the room one last time, before walking away and slamming the door shut.

"almost as big a drama queen as draco," maddy teased, getting a few laughs out of the group of third years. the blonde boy was playfully glaring at her, so she winked in response.

"not to worry," professor lupin went to go stand by the shaking wardrobe. "there's a boggart in there. does anyone know what a boggart is?"

"it's a shapeshifter, sir-"

"it takes the shape of what the person fears the most," madison finished off, winking at the granger girl. "not the only one who's smart, darling."

hermione's cheeks turned a crimson red as ron and harry smirked at each other.

"couldn't have said it better myself," remus smiled at the two girls. "the charm that repels a boggart is simple, yet it requires the force of mind. the thing that finishes a boggart is laughter. we will practice the incantation without wands first. before we begin, may i speak with you, miss taylor?"

maddy nodded and stood up as lupin told the class the incantation.

"you know this charm already, correct?" she nodded is response. "perfect. if anything goes wrong, you're going to fix it. it's great practice. you may stand off to the side with me."

the fourteen year old girl gave him a thumbs up and the professor addressed neville.

"alright, neville. what would you say is the thing that scares you the most?"

the boy proceeded to whisper his answer very quietly.

"didn't catch that neville, sorry," lupin calmly spoke.

"p-professor snape," he choked out. almost everyone in the room laughed, so maddy threw daggers at the trio she had met in her first year. the three instantly stopped laughing, causing her to snort in amusement. were crabbe, goyle and draco really scared of her?

"professor snape," lupin repeated. "neville, you live with your grandmother, yes?"

"y-yes, but i don't want it to turn into her either."