lxxxiv

the next thing madison knew, she was in the great hall, tears streaming down her eyes as tonks whispered comforting words and remus and sirius awkwardly rubbed her back, sirius making jokes in attempt to lighten up the mood.

the weasley's had approached her right when she entered the great hall, thanking her for saving fred's life. sirius and tonks' girlfriend, marie, proceeded to do that same but were shut up by the metamorphmagus, who instantly noticed maddy's state.

"it wasn't your fault," hermione softly spoke, slowly walking up to them. the adults took it as a sign to leave, so tonks kissed her forehead and headed over to comfort phoebe, who was currently wrapped in ron's arms. "you-"

"i could've saved him. we were right there, mione."

"but voldemort would've killed you-"

"no, he wouldn't have," maddy chuckled.

the type of chuckle that scared hermione.

"voldemort wants my power," the darker girl spoke slowly. "he doesn't want me dead. you know what else i realized? sev didn't have to die. he wasn't the master of the elder wand."

"what are you talking about?" hermione raised an eyebrow, glancing over at the entrance where the group of slytherins came in with bodies.

"it's not—-snape killed dumbledore, but i disarmed him. i'm the bloody master of the elder wand."

before hermione could respond, neville pulled maddy towards him, taking her outside to see that all the death-eaters were coming their way, voldemort leading them.

"who is that hagrid's carrying?" ginny asked, but they all knew the answer. "neville, maddy, who is it?"

"harry potter, is dead!"

"no, no!" ginny cried, running forward only to be pulled back by her father.

"silence!" voldemort called as more people came out of the castle. "stupid girl. harry potter, is dead. from this day forth, you put your faith in me. harry potter is dead!" he looked at the death-eaters, who laughed in response. "and now is the time to declare yourself. come forward and join us, or die."

"draco," lucius caused everyone to turn to his son, who was surrounded by the children of other death-eaters.

"draco," narcissa repeated, "come."

the boy looked around him, and gulped, walking down the steps but before he could get to his parents, daphne, theo and blaise all stepped in front of him.

to take the attention off them, neville stumbled forward.

"well, i must say i'd hoped for better," voldemort referred to neville, who was still making his over. "and who might you be, young man?"

"neville longbottom," he answered, earning more laughter from the death-eaters.

draco looked at each of his friends, taking a deep breath and a step back, sharing a look with maddy, who seemed more than proud.

"well, neville, i am sure we can find a place for you in our rank-"

"i'd like to say something," he interrupted.

"well, neville, i'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say."

"doesn't matter that harry's gone-"

"stand down-"

"shut it, finnigan."

"people die everyday. friends, family—-yeah, we lost harry tonight, he's still with us, in here," he pointed to his heart, "no one died in vain, but you will, because you're wrong."