chapter 2

The darkness lingered in the room dangerously while the lack of air suffocated the fragile boy chained brutally to the bed. There was no source of light or window to let some light and air into the space. Locked up between the four walls, blackness was all he could see. An unpleasant, harsh sound of irons colliding with each other filled the environment every time he moved. He was scared to death, he wanted to scream but small whimpers were the only thing he could let out of his mouth. He knew no one would come to save him, no one would liberate him from the hell he had been in. He would die there all alone, forgotten from the rest of the world.

"Go away," a small, fragile voice was heard in the dark, empty space, followed by heavy footsteps that were getting closer and closer to the room. They were coming again, they were arriving only to make him suffer and hurt him more. He knew he would die like this, there was no hope left for him.

"Please..."

Beomgyu couldn't even budge until his eyes shot open, welcomed by the same darkness he was seeing in the dream. His body started to panic at once as he jumped up from the bed and adrenaline running through his body was making him even more sweaty. The boy was panting, desperate to breathe. He quickly put his palm against the wall to make his way to the bathroom safely, his knees shaking violently from the fear settling in his body. He almost even fell several times until he managed to turn on the light in the bathroom and leaned on the sink with his palms, pressing his fingers hard against the ceramic. His eyes were shut tightly, his head hung low and his mind messy from the unstoppable thoughts and pictures running through it. He could still hear the sound of chains in his ears and it was making him go crazy.

"It is my imagination," he mumbled and raised his head to look at himself through the mirror.

His eyes were watery and puffy with some dark bags under them, his hair messy and his face swollen. He couldn't stand himself, he hated to see the ugly mess in front of him, and he hated his illness which had made him like this, crazy and sick. He wanted to hit the mirror, punch his reflection in it but he had no strength. Weakness and disgust were all he was feeling in his body while he was staring at himself and subconsciously squeezing the sink even harder, causing his fingers to turn completely white. His whole mind was covered in pure detestation when he heard the sound of the glass cracking. The silver-haired boy flinched at once and took some steps back, his eyes staring at the crack in the mirror shockingly.

"It is my imagination," he murmured again just to convince himself that everything was part of his hallucinations, "It is all in my mind."

The boy clenched his eyes and bent his knees a little. He tried to focus on his breath and clear his mind, but then the sound of chains started to return, making him want to scream out of his lungs. He placed his palms against his ears and squeezed them tightly to block the sound, but it was still audible in his mind. Tears streamed down his face like the river while small whimpers began to leave his mouth. He bent his body as soon as he felt a dreadful pain shoot through him and he started screaming while collapsing on the cold tile. The boy hugged himself and cried, praying for the pain to go away. It was like needles were being plunged into every part of his body at the same time, leaving a stinging feeling all over his skin and organs.

"Dark Shadow is the mafia name," the boy with the brown, bit curly hair said, looking at his gang members one by one gathered around the big table in the room, including Yeonjun who was listening to him attentively, taking in his cousin's every word carefully, "It's been the second fucking time they attacked our men and stole our shipments and we still don't know who the gang members are."

"Not even their leader?" Yeonjun asked and his cousin shook his head in disagreement.

"We only know his nickname - Wendigo."