Developments

Chapter 78

Timeskip, 2 years since the War

Katze, the new city of the Arcanian Empire and its Imperial Capital

With most of the known world unified under one banner and a supreme power, there came peace and the golden age of life.

The loss of lives from the former Theocracy and from the war with the Re-Estize was sorely felt within their former territories but life, humans especially, tend to easily forget once prosperity is promised. And prosperity and wealth followed.

Year-round, the weather was perfect for each matching season. Hard labor was mostly done by cheap undead laborers who were rented from government buildings while all children were obligated to attend school. Anyone who wished to attend with them were also allowed to attend for free in order to learn.

Me: It doesn't make sense, I don't understand this.

Of course, I didn't mean that I couldn't read the language. My Rinnegan and my pattern analysis allowed me to write like a noble in minutes. What I didn't understand, however, is how the language came to be.

Me: They speak old Japanese, which is fine...but the characters don't line up. The strokes and letters form a combination that can mean literally anything. Of course most of the population would be illiterate.

3: What do you propose my lady?

Me: Form a new writing system; one that relies on the pronunciation of the word and use simpler strokes. Do not form any overlaps...actually, go to Alexandria and pick up Korean and Norwegian as a base for the new language system.

3: Understood.

Me: The simpler the language, the faster the people learn. One of the problems english has faced for centuries...yet the government never seem to purposefully try and change the language forcefully.

Diana: Freedom of speech and thought. UK, America, Australia and other nations that have used English as their main language never saw the need to at the time. Their language was already based on sounds and pronunciations.

Me: English has one of the hardest grammar I have ever learned. Compared to Korean, of course since Korean was literally made to be easy by wiping out the traditional characters. Even compared to Chinese before they simplified it. Japanese just has really bad pronunciations...their use of their mouth is limited.

Diana: Every language has their ups and downs. You just need to accept it.

Me: But sis, language plays such a huge role! Every country that has had a fast rise also had something to do with literature. China, after it sent itself into isolation has seen a great decline in literature, and soon the West caught onto them. Romans educated their citizens as much as possible with their revolutionary numerical system and their latin, then they had one of the longest Golden Ages in the history of Earth...250 years of dominance if I remember correctly.

Diana: You're going to make the language yourself?

Me: Not make it, but design it. People need to ease into it but I'm going to set up some frameworks. Some grammar and base formats which will never be changed no matter how long.

Diana: Boring~ One Piece world was fine without all of us needing to do stuff like this.

Me: One of our greatest mistakes I'll say. That's why illiterate people still existed even when school was mandatory. Imagine the potential and the results a good language can bring in after thousands of years.

Diana: Ok, ok. Now, can you just leave that to the Elders and relax a bit?

Me: Alright, I guess the librarians are in on this as well. I'm sure they'll come up with a good system.