Before the War Part 3

Chapter 67

Third POV, or doppelgänger hiding in the wall

Noble: ...Marquis Raeven, didn't mention earlier that you had conscripted some retired adventurers into your forces? Something about... formerly orichalcum-tanked? Why is that allowed?

Raeven: That's fine. They're no longer bound by the rules of the Adventurer's Guild once they retire and are no longer members. That's why I hired them.

Noble: ...How shall I say this, I hear it, but I still can't bring myself to accept it.

Soft laughter and sounds of approval came from the noble contingent.

Raeven: Still, that only applies up to adventurers ranked up to orichalcum. Adamantite-ranked adventurers are a different matter entirely. Of the two adamantite-ranked adventurer parties in the Kingdom...

There was nobody here who did not know of the daring exploits of Blue Rose during the rebellion

Raeven: Before they took center stage, there was another group of adamantite-ranked adventurers. Although they've all retired, they haven't been hired since then...Right, Warrior-Captain-dono?

Gazef: That's correct. There are four of them. One opened an exclusive sword school for pupils he chose himself. Two more went on a journey. The last one was the granny who once belonged to Blue Rose before vanishing.

Gazef counted the familiar faces on his fingers as he recalled them. While he was strolling through the capital, he had been dragged into a training hall by his future teacher, and he had been subjected to hellish days of sword training and lectures. Because of that encounter, the Gazef who should have only been a mercenary had ended up serving the King, but even if that was the case― No, come to think of it, those were good memories too.

Noble: I see. But could we not ask Blue Rose to involve themselves with this war? They have always stood by Princess Renner. Perhaps they will be willing to fight for us?

While that was fundamentally a good idea, the Adventurer's Guild would never allow it. Several nobles began loudly cursing the Guild.

Nobles: they're nothing more than peasants!

Nobles: who do they think pays them?!

Nobles: If they're citizens of the Kingdom, they should be working for the Kingdom!

It was only natural that those in power would be displeased by the Adventurer's Guild, which refused to submit to that power. However, it was also a fact that they were the only ones who could deal with monsters.

If the Adventurer's Guild left the Kingdom, they would have no way of beating back powerful monsters. As a result, the Kingdom would be slowly destroyed, and not even Gazef's presence would change that.

Monsters had many special abilities, and defeating them would require an equally diverse repertoire of attacks, defenses and healing methods. Because of this, adventurers were indispensable. It would be a different matter if they could incorporate magic casters and rangers into their forces, like the Empire had.

Baron: Ah, as expected of your Highness! I feel that this is a marvelous idea!

The one who spoke was a baron. He was too lowly-ranked to be taking part in this meeting, which meant he was someone's vassal.

Baron: As a magic caster, Evileye might have some insights into this situation. It might be good just to listen to what she has to say. Maybe we should send an emissary over, just in case.