Maid at the Estate Part 2

Chapter 87

After sharing the basic greetings with Tuare, I did the most basic and logical thing anyone would do in this situation. I dived into the bed in all of it's fluffiness.

Me: Ayyymagawddd!!! It's so fluffy so soft! What is it made out of?

Tuare: I know right? Honestly I don't know but I'm not planning on retiring if it means I can sleep on a bed like this.

Me: When we retire once we get old, can I ask this bed for compensation?

Tuare: ...good point! But let's not ask that for now. There's so much to learn here!

Rolling around in the fancy fluffy beds. Exploring the bathrooms which was larger than the living room back home (Tuare said the entire indoor facility was expanded with magic; crazy). Tuare and I spent the rest of the day chattering and laughing about everything there was here. It was as if we had become the nobles we had served...that we wished to become one day.

Of course, nobility was abolished in the Arcanian Empire but I meant the lifestyle...and if this was what the lifestyle they gave to a maid was, man I felt great!

Working in the estate, there were always content surprises. We came to call the estate 'Grand Haven' as it was the name that was officially given. It was fitting as such a place couldn't be called anything less. Even the word Palace seemed too less a word to capture this majestic place.

First was, as mentioned before, the place where they allowed us to stay. Usually, the accommodations for maids were shoddy or a little dirty at best. Even in higher ranking noble houses, they forced about a dozen maids to sleep in bunk beds together in a small room. Here, we had a room of luxury with just the two of us with everything we needed!

The bathroom was attached to our room which in my opinion was a sign of money and power. Who else would have pipes connect to a maid's room? In addition, there was flowing hot water. Tuare and I had hot baths everyday just because we can! With the weird but fragrant soaps we were allowed to use, I felt like I understood why the higher ranking noble girls always smelled so good.

In other houses I've worked in, the only water we were allowed to use were after the guests or master of the houses have used the water. By then, the water was usually room temperature at best, most often cold. Not only that but if the masters used a smaller bath, the water would often be dirty by the time I used it as many others shared it too. If I didn't want to bath in the lukewarm water, then I needed to go out to the well and draw out cold water myself.

Of course, that did not apply to the Grand Haven. The mistress (who I have not yet met) was obviously showing off the over the top wealth that the Arcanian Empire possessed.

What was most surprising came during mealtime. Meals were always composed of left overs or extras (or scraps) from the kitchen, but not in this mansion. Cooks were specifically ordered to cook real meals for all the servants in the house. We could eat as much as we want and there would always be snacks available throughout the day like fresh fruits or small meals in the kitchen for hungry maids.

We were allowed to use cutlery which I have only seen nobles use. Finally a chance to show off and use our etiquette for once instead of having it rot in our heads. Mealtime was when all of the maids were sharing the new wonders they have found in the house or perhaps some usual gossip of who was dating who. With the (human) Knights in another building, the usual affairs between maids and knights were there as well.

I remember on the first day I ate so much meat after being deprived of it for so long that I got a stomachache that very night. I intended to laugh it over as my own fault for eating so much meat when my stomach wasn't ready but some of the senior maids took me to the household Healer who casted heal on me.