The Foolish Prince

Chapter 71

Third Person POV

The First Prince Barbro Andrean Ield Ryle Vaiself was furious as he led his men north, leaving behind the clamor of E-Rantel and the troops preparing to march out to the Katze Plains.

Barbro: Dammit. That damn Marquis Raeven...

Barbro could not hold back his cursing.

During the rebellion, his younger brother had borrowed Raeven's men to patrol the city and maintain order, giving the nobles the impression that he was willing and able to step into the fray. As a result, the nobles who had originally supported the First Prince Barbro were beginning to have second thoughts. Now that Marquis Raeven had thrown his support behind the Second Prince, some of those nobles had jumped ship to his side as well.

Not moving out during the rebellion had been a fatal mistake. Barbro had not stepped onto the frontline and stayed in the Royal Palace because he had no men of his own.

It had been the right thing to do; what good could just one man do by himself on the frontline? He would simply get in others' way. Besides, the angry dirty commoners might have attacked the Royal Palace too. Without Marquis Raeven's men, his younger brother would not have been able to maintain order either. All he could do was convince some men to stop the riot and return hom.

Barbro believed that he had made the right choice. However, those fools did not understand it and had been deceived by appearances. In the end, they had all played into Marquis Raeven's hands.

Barbro: Could it be that none of them had any idea what he was plotting? Besides, they were just patrolling, they didn't even fight anyone, no?

If his younger brother had fought, he would surely have made a fool of himself. When one thought about that, one could tell how smart Marquis Raeven was. There was also one more thing that displeased Barbro.

That was the fact that he was on his way to the insignificant little settlement of Carne Village. He had fallen behind in the struggle for the succession. That was why Barbro had to distinguish himself as the First Prince during this battle with the Arcanian Empire. He had to regain the fame his younger brother had stolen in order to let everyone know that he was the best choice to inherit the Kingdom.

Thus, this battle was very important to him; yet he had been given orders which had him running around on a useless errand like some lackey. What prestige was there in investigating the link between a frontier village and the Empire. This village was far into the territory of the Kingdom! Even if they did have a connection, what significance would it have to begin with?

In that moment, a chill ran down Barbro's spine. Could it be that this had been done to keep Barbro from achieving anything?

His father had long since made up his mind to give the throne to his younger brother, and he did not want to let Barbro make any accomplishments to turn the tables, so he sent him on to this tiny little hamlet─

Barbro's breathing grew chaotic. His heart burned with hatred for his father, who was looking down on him, the First Prince and wanted to give the throne to his younger brother for showing just a tiny bit of courage.

The fact that he noticed a horse drawing up to him as frustration blinkered his eyes was purely coincidence.

Cheneko: My Prince, are you unwell? Shall I call over a priest?

The shrill voice at close range echoed loudly and seemed to claw directly at his brain, and it even making him want to throw up. However, he overcame it. It was fortunate that the cool air of winter helped soothe him, and that growing up in the royal household had trained him to keep up appearances. Only a fool would reveal his inner feelings.