Ramposa Ryle Vaiself III Part 2

Chapter 63

Ramposa III: I see. This is what our Warrior-Captain actually believes. Can you give us a reason for that?

Gazef: Yes, your Majesty, that is―

The image of a certain person set alarm bells ringing through his heart.

Gazef: ―That is to say, it is because of the ruler, the White Sovereign. Even other than that, the Arcanian Empire holds the single greatest forces in the world. They have explicitly stated that our Kingdom will fall one way or another.

Ramposa III: That being the case, the only one of us who has actually seen her face to face would be you, Warrior-Captain. That means we must give some weight to your words. Can you tell us what makes you say that?

Gazef: What we saw at that village was none other than God. The letter has stated that the World bends to their will. Your Majesty, they meant that literally. Every word that was said out of her mouth was done. She ordered the bandits to kill themselves painfully, and they were forced to do so, screaming in pain and begging for forgiveness they split their own stomachs open and died.

He took in a deep breath before he continued.

Gazef: She did all that without raising a single finger. Next, I heard that she revived all the villagers who died at the Bandits' hands before our arrival. Not even Lakyus of Blue Rose could resurrect that many at once. Even without their army, they are a true threat your Majesty.

Gazef turned to the King before saying his plea.

Gazef: My King, could you not try negotiating with the Arcanian Empire? To give them parts but let the Kingdom keep our independence and rule? I truly fear that even I cannot win against her.

After a moment's silence, angry shouts flew through the air..

Noble: You craven coward! How shameless can you get, you chicken-heart?!

Those shouts came from the nobles of the Royal faction.

Noble: After his Majesty showed you such kindness, you turn around and tell him to surrender his demesne to outsiders? When did you start serving the false ruler?!

In the face of such deserved castigation, Gazef could not answer. Had he been in their position, he would probably have done the same thing.

Ramposa III: Enough.

Noble: But, your Majesty!

Ramposa III: I am deeply grateful that my subjects would be so moved on my behalf. It is because of that reason that I ask you to remember that my Warrior-Captain would never betray me. He has fearlessly thrust himself into danger countless times for me. Someone like that would never do anything which would harm me.

The nobles who had shouted at Gazef bowed to the King. While he acknowledged this fact, he continued speaking to Gazef.

Ramposa III: Warrior-Captain, whom I trust like my right hand. Even if you are the one who puts forth that proposal, I cannot agree to it. Giving up one's domain without a fight is not befitting of a ruler. Such an act cannot be allowed for the sake of those who live upon it. It would ruin their peaceful lives

Handing land over while moving all the residents off without harming them was nothing more than a fairytale. Even if it was possible, there would be no way to allow the displaced residents to live like they used to, and in the end their lives would be worse off for it. Or that was what they imagined for the people of the Kingdom.

Gazef: That is undoubtedly so, your Majesty, and I hope you will forgive me for my foolish words.

Gazef lowered his head as his King, who loved the people so dearly, spoke to him. If he was a foolish noble ― a landlord who simply saw his people as a means of making money, the King would not have said what he did. It was because of the King's compassion that Gazef was willing to pledge his life to him.