Things to Do

Chapter 57

The tiny noises in my head, the small bits of power entering me was starting to really annoying. Mana I didn't ask for. Empowerment that felt like a drug...what was happening?

I secluded myself in my room before ordering the maid not to let anyone interrupt me. When I was comfortable in my bed, once again I dove into myself, looking for the answer.

When I opened my eyes again, I was in spirit form, inside my body. What I saw now was not the outline of my body from inside was an endless ocean...but with no waves. It reminded me of the Calm Belt. Above me was the night sky, lit by thousands, if not tens of thousands of bright stars. They kept the night sky bright enough to see everything clearly.

Here, I saw what was happening.

Me: I'm starting to accept the power of the tree...

It made sense after all, as by eating the fruit of the tree, and Yggdrasil dead, sis and I technically 'replaced' her. In reality, the magic tier system would have been abolished with the source gone...but we were here. The replacements

The sea inside of me was mana. It was my own personal sea of mana which seemed to be endless...but could it really be called a sea (or ocean) if nothing is in it?

It turns out that was what the magic users were doing. The magic users spawned something akin to a mana-creature inside the sea, maintaining and flourishing it with life. Keeping the water clear and lively.

The higher the tier, the higher up on the food chain. Unlike faith, the creatures would stay and continue to grow on their own. This was a way to continuously strengthen myself, like a loop, but each time I get stronger...for almost forever.

Me: If I truly am the world tree...there's got to be more than this.

I looked beyond the sea of mana, into what I am. Something I was not physically or literally but what I was at the core of my soul.

Behind the barriers, I saw the image of a young peach tree, with the blossoming flowers and a single pink fruit.

Me: ...stereotypical but I guess it fits. Now, what can I do with this?

The tree had given all the players their power and abilities, could I perhaps do the same?

I accessed the 'skill-chart' and found out that I could...it was just overly complicated.

Me: It'll take a couple of years before I fully understand how to use it and abuse the hell out of it...but at least I know that it's possible.

Finally, keeping this power. Truth be told, it's already mine but I wasn't talking about that. The World Tree Yggdrasil was always under constant attack by the World Threats beyond the tree as well as the major world ending creatures that lived on the tree. For example the giant world bird that was destroying it's branches, the World Dragon (or sis I guess) who was destroying and eating its roots as well as the World Squirrel which served as a messenger to maintain the illusion that the World Tree needed to be destroyed between the two.

Having this power now, I knew for a fact that the Tree was strong enough to remove every single one of them easily...but why didn't she? The answer was obvious. Her purpose was the preserve life...including those of her enemies. She didn't kill them and instead allowed them to seep her life-force until that lead to her eventual death.

My purpose in life was definitely not dying the way Yggdrasil did. I did not plan on having cosmic entities come up and have a free drink on my sap and drain me to death. Looks like I'll need to make myself poisonous or something...give them a little warning that the World Tree isn't a free-sample anymore.