The Surroundings

Chapter 68

POV Red Haired Shanks, on his vacation/mission

Weak, that was the only feeling I got from him. I still don't understand why this fool is important but Kara-sama's orders are absolute.

Me: I sense nothing from you. Not one bit of will, power, or potential. Tell me, what are you hiding? You must be hiding something for 'her' to specifically order this.

Brain, or as he introduced himself with that name, was lying on the ground with both his legs broken. His katana was shattered on impact with my skin from that weird 'field' thing he declared his ultimate move.

Brain: *wahhh!!!* No~ Please!!

He began to crawl away, crying and bawling on the cave floor. He crawled over his dead comrades and out into the back where I calmly followed him.

Kara-sama told me I was not allowed to kill him, but she also didn't want me to bring him back to Society. Her exact words were 'teach that fool what power is; break his will'. That was all there was to it and I think I've accomplished both of them. But do I just let him go now?

*sigh* I guess I can't help it.

I grabbed his legs and *Lower Heal*

It wasn't much but it healed his legs and every injury he got from me. He looked at me in fear, confusion, and a little bit of awe.

Me: Alright, now I've healed you up, so you owe me one, okay?

Brain: What...?

Me: Name's Shanks, and you're going to buy me a drink today. So up you go.

I grabbed his hand and forced him back up to his feet. I could tell it was straining him just to keep standing but that wasn't my problem right?

Me: Now, you don't have any right to complain. You were acting as a bandit, and while this is the Kingdom, you do realize that bandits are executed, right? So killing your men and breaking your leg is a fair price to pay. In return I won't kill you.

He nodded. Looks like they weren't true Nakama for him. I wasn't really getting any sort of bond or anything from this man, but I wasn't planning on wasting my first time out in this world alone with nothing to do. Maybe he knows a few good places. Swordsman like him tend to drink a lot. I would know.

Me: Now, take me to the best bar you know and we'll talk there.

Brain: A tavern?

Me: Same thing right?

He just frowned before deciding whatever it was wasn't worth it before leading me.

Brain: I'll take you to E-Rantel. I heard that they'll be hiring any mercenary for a pretty good price. Also, I might be able to meet up with an old friend. But while we are going there...

He looked at me with a serious expression.

Brain: Would you tell me how you got so strong?

Me: You're not going to search for it yourself?

That seemed to hit a mark. Truthfully, I didn't want to anyway. My strength was through my own. Every bit of my will and experience through my haki was my own. My strength and swordsmanship was a result of training and not the magic that the previous world has blessed me with.

I didn't know what the man in front of me was thinking but it was a shame for a swordsman to lay down his pride and ask another, especially one who he was just defeated by, to teach him.

Brain: Then please answer this...is there a way to reach your strength one day?

Me: Strength is limited only by your mind. Trust in your potential and your body shall follow.

While not exactly true, it was the case for this man. He didn't have much motivation or potential, but he didn't reach even half of what he could be yet. He had talent...for someone of this world from what I heard. With proper effort and drive, he might not be too bad. Well, of course horrible in my eyes but for someone else of course.

Me: You better buy me the best thing they've got in there.

Brain: You know I'm broke right?

Me: Better sell yourself to buy me that drink then.

He chuckled as he knew I didn't mean it.

Draudilon POV, Queen of the Draconic Kingdom

Me: I wish I can execute that pedophile. Actually, I just wish that time would stop right now.

I was lounging back and relaxing in what seemed like forever. The biggest national worry, the Beastman Invasions, were pushed back and defended by the Valhallan Warriors the Arcanian Empire had lent us. While I was skeptical of their powers and abilities, after seeing it for myself...words failed me.

The Beastman who had camped outside the city walls were slaughtered before a few of them ran for their lives. Half of the warriors stayed behind to guard the city while the others split up to liberate two cities that were lost to the Beastman. Two full days later, I heard news that both cities were freed and the Beastman inhabiting the cities were slaughtered and burned.

When they returned, I begged them to invade the Beastman Kingdom, to help us end this once and for all but they refused. While I hated it, I understood why. The Arcanian Kingdom didn't lend the troops out of good will but rather for a price. We were to cut off all of our ties with the Re-Estize Kingdom and the Holy (Roble) Kingdom and form an alliance with the Arcanian Empire. Since the Re-Estize never really helped us much, we gladly obliged. In return, the Empire will permanently 'settle' troops to 'guard' us from the Beastman. This meant that while they would keep us safe, we would continuously have to rely on them. If the Beastman are subjugated, then we would no longer need them, and that was something the Arcanian Empire didn't want.

Minister: I'm afraid that wouldn't do your highness. Nobody could stop time. As for the other matter, I would like to personally kill Cerebrate as well, however he is still our country's Adamantium Rank Adventurer. Killing or executing him will cost our nation greatly...even if we now have permanent aid troops from the Empire. Besides, your highness, shouldn't you prepare for the Tea Party?

Me: *sigh* Don't remind me. I'm already nervous as I can be. But I don't understand why they would want to meet me when they didn't even come themselves when we formed the pact.

Minister: My guess is that they are making a demonstration of power against the Re-Estize kingdom to make sure nobody would be as foolish as the rebel against their rule. Or in our case, not to break the alliance.

Me: Ha! As if we can last without their troops. We're completely dependent on them now. Even if they appear weak, we would still need them, just as we needed the Baharuth Empire and the Kingdom up until now.

Minister: So are you prepared to meet them? Or witness a slaughter if I am right in my assumption.

Me: Ready as I can be. But you know, can I take just one bott—

Minster: No

Me: *pout*

Minister: Your highness, if you are going to pout, please do it in your child form. Your habits are showing even when you are in your original body.

Me: It's not easy to keep up the appearance all the time! And also, I don't see the reason of why I must hide behind that child form anymore.

Minister: Why not? The people love you in that form!

Me: That is exactly the reason why Minster. Because we were in a sire situation facing the loss of our people, I needed the support of the people, or something to drive them. Now, that is no longer needed. What they need now is a capable leader who can lead the country to prosperity. They don't need to love me anymore.

Minster: ...I am surprised your highness. I didn't know you were capable of deep thought.

Me: You little prick! I swear I'll fire you someday!

Just another peaceful day ever since the Arcanian Empire sent help.