Before the War Part 2

Chapter 66

Third POV, or the doppelgänger hiding somewhere

This was the innermost sector of the E-Rantel's triple walls. In the center of the city was the mansion of the mayor of E-Rantel, Panasolei Guruze Dale Rettonmai. Although it was a luxurious home worthy of the city's leader, it still paled in comparison to the building beside it.

That building was the most impressive in the city ― the VIP villa. It was typically sealed up, and only the royal family or those close to them would be permitted to use it. And now, in a room within that villa, several men were gathered around King Ramposa III and the Great Nobles.

Gazef stood silently beside the King, who sat upon a crude throne. A large table dominated the center of the room, surrounded by nobles, who were studying the large map that had been rolled out upon it. There were several troop position markers on the map, an around it were countless scattered documents, nominal rolls, reconnaissance reports, combat logs, monster appearance reports and the like. Although there were waterbearers behind them, there was little water left.

It was testament to the intensity of the debates that had taken place here. The truth was that fatigue was starting to appear on the distinguished, pedigreed faces of the Great Nobles. As one's forces grew larger, there were more things which had to be discussed, and more decisions that had to be made. While low-level issues could be delegated to subordinates, they had to coordinate the matters of the nobles within their factions personally.

As nobles with their pride on the line, they could not afford to embarrass themselves before others, which only added to their workload. However, that was over now.

Marquis Raeven, who looked the least exhausted of everyone here, opened his mouth to speak. No, it was better to say that he was always the first to speak. He might have been slighted as a "bat," but nobody doubted his intelligence. Having him chair these cross-factional meetings was the fastest way to get things done.

Raeven: Thank you all for your hard work. For the most part, I believe we've finished our preparations within the deadline. From now on we will begin discussing the strategy for the upcoming war against the Arcanian Empire.

Raeven's gaze swept across everyone present, and he held up a parchment for all to see.

Raeven: This is a declaration of war from the Empire that arrived several days ago. It states the proposed site of the battlefield, right out there on the Katze Plains

The concept of proposed battlefield locations stemmed from the fact that battlefields invariably became cursed locations which spawned the undead. Therefore, when battles were to be waged between members of fellow species, they would designate specific locations where they would fight. Assuming both sides agreed, they could do battle there without harming each others' countries.

Of course, not all wars were fought like that. Or rather, it was rare for such agreements to be made. However the Kingdom and Baharuth Empire had fought on designated battlefields for the past few years. The Arcanian Empire, having assimilated the Baharuth into their legions, accepted this with no problem.

Up until now regarding the problem of winning the land of the undead, even if they took new land, it would be more trouble than it was worth if it spawned undead nearby, and there was no point in defending land from invaders if it ended up cursed and uninhabitable anyway. Both sides shared the same point of view, hence the agreements. Now, this was unsure. The Kingdom had proof that the Arcanian Empire utilized necromancy and undead efficiently and as part of their daily lives. A nation which such capability in magic might find actual use for such lands, but what was the Kingdom to do in this situation.