3

"I would like to leave this city. This old town don't smell too pretty."

It's July 19th in Texas and the humidity is atrocious for my already poofy hair. I still can't comprehend why Kristina loves this weather so much.

Kristina and David are going to the pond, and I know they won't let me refuse the offer without a fight. Even though I'm still hungover from the night, my feet sore from dancing, I still reluctantly decided to go with them. It looks like rain is going to pour down any second, but they aren't questioning it. 

Smoke is enveloping me from my cigarette, the air around me smelling solely of Nicotine. Kristina will be picking me up in a few minutes.

Kristina told me that David has already gone to the pond this morning to scout out the area. He wanted to make sure that no one else would be there to ruin our day. I've been forcing my eyelids open all morning in a desperate attempt to stay awake. The night before is all a blur to me, the memories of harsh hickeys on my neck and a banging headache the only thing I have to remember the party.

I graduated 2 months ago, not caring in the slightest about college anymore. It's not like a college degree will define me. I have to find myself on my own. Suddenly, Kristina's car pulls up, dirt caked onto the bottom of it. 

"Hey, can I have one?" Kristina says pointing to the pack of cigarettes. Annoyed, I give Kristina a cigarette. I hate sharing these with anyone because they are not cheap around here, but she's my best friend, and I would give her the whole world if I could. I hand her one, rolling my eyes as I place it in the palm of her hand. 

"What are we doing at the pond anyways?" I ask. The pond in my mind has always been an idiotic place and a huge waste of time. Children usually go there with their soccer moms and swim with their friends, while at night, teens go there to get high and leave their mark. The only thing that makes me feel slightly worse is that the kids have to swim in our mess, in our bad choices.

The pond used to be an innocent place, a cool place for kids to hang out on a warm day. But the teens have ruined it, have tainted it with their many games of strip poker and truth or dare.

Every teen who likes to rebel against their conservative parents will go there to smoke pot, hook up, and purposely not hide their tracks. Unlike my mom, some of theirs actually want them to stop doing this stuff that's ruining their lives. Nowadays, I find myself grateful to have a mother that doesn't care because I can do whatever I want. I can disappear and never come back; she would never notice. 

"The guys have beer and weed all set up in a fun station," Kristina says giddily. "Maybe you'll finally pull your pants down for David," I scoff at Kristina's comment. She looks over at me, chuckling as she suggests I finally give it up for the devil himself.

The dew on the windows distract me from responding to Kristina's vulgar statement. All I know is the idea of sex with David is somewhat revolting. 

"I'm not sleeping with David. I don't want whatever girl he slept with last night on my skin," I blurt out.

Out the window, I can see the storm clouds forming over us like a blanket. "Are you sure it isn't going to rain?" I'm slightly thankful for the cloudy sky today, the sun unable to burn at my tired eyes.

Kristina looks out the window and shrugs. "Beats me," she says. Planning these kinds of outings isn't really her thing. But hell, I wasn't about to plan a day out either.