1

"Close enough to start a war, all that I have is on the floor."

I gaze into the rearview mirror, my eyes analyzing the stranger staring back at me. What made me think I could do this? My dirty blonde waves are in a big tangle upon my weary head, blood dripping down my forehead from the open gash on my skin. The only belongings I have with me are some clothes, a few dollars in my pocket, and my car. Two years ago I had my fucking life together ready to start college, but now I'm here running from my own life. I don't think I can manage to drive any further today. I've already driven 6 hours today. Sleeping in my car doesn't sound great, but I have nothing else--nowhere else to go. It's all my fault that I'm in this position--my lack of standing my ground in a weak moment. It all began when I set foot in that party.

~~~

"Oh come on! Just come to the party for an hour!" Kristina, my best friend, shouts at me through the phone, casually blasting my ear off. Her voice sounds intoxicated; I can tell. Saying I dislike these kinds of parties they throw would be a significant understatement. These parties had drunk, over-the-top girls, horny boys, and just a crowd of people filled that have one priority on their mind. I'm not about to become one of those mind-numbing people.

"No I can't, finals are tomorrow. Kristina, you should be studying too despite you not wanting to attend college." Kristina is a party girl at heart, but she wasn't always like this. You might ask why I, Sarah Montgomery straight A student, am best friends with Kristina Jeffries, the professional party girl. It's all a simple story really, but it always seems to break my heart when I recall it.

Our mothers have known each other since high school, best friends from the first day they introduced themselves to each other. They broke apart when my mother's alcoholic actions kicked in 8 years ago after my father left us alone in a big house. Kristina was brought up as I was, with being respectful always her family's priority. A good future had always been planned out for her, but, of course, that all changed when high school started. She wanted to be like every other girl that flaunted herself down the hallway, while I wanted to stay away from the bright lights and crowds.

I've reminded her on numerous accounts that, 'people will like you for who you are, never change.' Of course, she told me I had cliche thoughts written in my mind. Kristina started doing drugs, drinking alcohol, and hanging around with the wrong people until late into the night.

"Please!! Just come for an hour, then I'll leave you alone. You'll be able to get back home with enough time to study all night." Kristina has resorted to begging, her voice raising a few octaves. If I go tonight maybe she will leave me alone--never ask me to attend another party again.

For the past four years, Kristina has asked me almost every weekend to go to a party with her. I never understood why Kristina had loved these parties so much; they always smelt of weed and bad decisions. I take my bottom lip between my teeth, thinking about my decision.

"Fine. I'll come for just an hour, no more, and then you will stop asking." This party isn't anything but a waste of time for me. I'm not going to drink or smoke there; I know better than that. I already have my plans sorted out for after graduation, my plane ticket to New York sitting in the top drawer of my desk.

"Yes! I knew I could persuade you to come! I'm just too good for you," Kristina gloates. I can't even see her, but I know she is smirking on the other line. Although going to this party is against my morals, it will finally shut Kristina up about any other future parties.

"I'll be there to pick you up in 10," Kristina says before hanging up the phone. I groan as I realize I need to change out of my sweats and into something a little more presentable.