75

Song for the chapter: Right Love by Jacquie Lee

~~~

"If my useless heart could speak, it would tell you I wanna love you better.
I wanna stay forever. How to stop bracing, how to stop chasing lights. Could've been heaven, could've been paradise. We had the right love at the wrong time."

"Mommy, when will I get better?" My mom takes my temperature with the thermometer. She tucked me into my Barney sheets, and with my lucky teddy right next to me.

"Very soon, Sarah I promise. You know mommy would never lie to you." She smiles, reassuring my health will come back quickly and fully. Being sick was the scariest thing to me, because I could end up never getting better. All I wanted to do was read my books with teddy.

"I know mommy, thank you for always taking care of me." She moves my hair away from my face with her warm hands. I wish I was old enough to take care of mommy when she got sick, but grandma always comes and does it for her.

"I love taking care of you more than anything else in the world, bumblebee." She kisses my forehead, and takes the thermometer out from under my arm. "Looks like my baby has a fever, I guess it's time to bring in some medicine." Mommy puts the thermometer into the case, and leaves my room to get my medicine.

I hate how it tastes, kinda like a fake grape candy. I wish there was another way to get healthy, beside drinking the gross syrup. It sometimes made me sick when I took it, but I wasn't really allowed to complain, since it made me better in the end.

"Okay, now open wide Sarah." I open my mouth, while mommy puts the spoon full of syrup into my mouth. I swallow the thick, goopy liquid. It tastes gross going down my throat, but I swallowed it anyways.

"Get some rest now, Sarah. When you wake up you'll feel better!" Mommy tucks my body into the warm sheets. She kisses my forehead, before getting up, turning the lights off, and closing the door.

I cling onto teddy and close my eyes, hoping to fall asleep so I can soon feel better and play with mommy again sometime.

~~~

I woke up, in what seemed like a pool of my own sweat. It wasn't a great way to wake up at all, being more sick than yesterday didn't feel too great. I know that I'd have to cancel my plans tonight with Zayn and Perrie, because of my stupid sickness.

I reach for my phone on my bedside table, and to my expectations I had no messages or calls from Harry. Did he even care how I was feeling, or if I actually needed him more than anything in the world.

I roll around under the sheets, trying to fall back asleep, but I get no relief at all from the splitting headache. I hated being sick more than anything, the medicine always made me feel even worse. Well, at least it wasn't grape flavored anymore.

My makeup was smeared onto my pillow, and probably all over my face. I wanted to call Harry, seeing maybe he'd come over if I had asked him to, but it felt hopeless. Something about us just wasn't working right now, and it was killing my heart. I felt like it had shattered for the last time, but maybe there could also be one little piece left hanging from a thread.

I decided on simply calling Harry, hoping he'd pick up, even if it was just for a quick second. I hear the dial tone on the other side, seeming like it would never end meant that Harry was not going to pick up. It went to voicemail, leaving me to go into the darkest part of my mind.