17

<A/N at end. Hope you enjoy the chappy.>

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Kristina asks for my approval. I had been sure I wanted to visit my grandmother for awhile. Ever since my dad left a piece of me has been missing. "We don't have to if you don't wanna." The fear of her slamming the dirt in my face when I got there was building up. What if she didn't even care about me anymore.

"We'll never know unless I go there Kristina." We were on our way to my grandmother's house in Kristina's rusty car. She really needed a new one, it was time.

It had been years since I've seen her. Miss Greta Montgomery. She was my father's mother, and only lived about thirty minutes from me. I knew I should've visited her earlier, see how she was doing. Instead I'd only been focusing on myself, and my future. It's not like I was taken away from my grandmother too, I could visit her whenever.

My father wasn't necessarily taken away from me, but I didn't know where he was right now, or what he was doing.

"So what's this lady like?" Kristina asks to break the silence. I know she's just trying to distract me and I'm thankful she's such a good friend.

"Well, from what I remember she was a great baker, and cook. She used to always bake me a cake with my favorite princess on it every year for my birthday. She made me clothes and sometimes I was in a personal fashion show for her. We would laugh and then sit in the backyard and look at the clouds. She was a good get away from my fighting parents." She truly was one of the kindest, warmest woman I knew. I'm just realizing now that I missed her. So much.

"Wow she sounds like a real old lady." If only Kristina knew. I did pity Kristina a little in the fact that she didn't have grandparents, they had both passed when she was young. She never got to truly know them.

We drive the rest of the way in silence. I start to remember the houses that line up the streets, and I remember that this neighborhood was beautiful. It was nicer than the town I live in and I'm glad to be here again. It felt as if I was going back to the start, before the fights, before the drama, before the sleepless nights.

"We're here." We pull up in front of the robin egg blue colored house and I open my door. It looked almost exactly the same. The flowers were still planted out front, and there was the same white bird house in the front yard. "It's... fancy." Kristina says. I agree the house is well kept and beautiful.

I step up the white steps leading to the front door I've come to know. I'm so close to knocking on the door, but my nerves keep on getting the best of me. "Come on Sarah just do it." Kristina rushes me, but I can't do it. I just can't knock.

"I will, soon." Kristina rolls her eyes, and I turn back to the door. I knock and it's not an aggressive knock, but it's a gentle one. I always used to do this gentle knock when I came here.

I can hear shuffling inside and I feel like I'm about to faint. What if she doesn't recognize me? What if she doesn't want to see me? What if she's angry with me after all these years? The questions are jumping around in my head just when the door swings open.

Here my grandmother stands in front of me. She's shorter now, and she was dressed in a pink housecoat. Her eyes grow wide and I instantly can tell she knows who I am. "Nanna?" I'm the first one to speak. Her eyes are growing watery and I feel like crying too.

"Sarah, darling what has brought you here?" I was hoping she would hug me, or tell me how much she missed me.

"I wanted to see you, see how you've been." My Nanna steps to the side and goes to her plants. Why was she being so distant. She is family. My family.