last name

song for the chapter: because of you - kelly clarkson

33 weeks pregnant

i heard the sound of michael rummaging through my closet as i opened my eyes. michael and i were watching a movie on the couch and i guess i must have fell asleep and michael put me in my bed. i sat up in my bed as michael turned around.

"oh, i didn't mean to wake you."

michael said.

"it's fine. what are you doing?"

"i was looking for that shirt of mine you borrowed the other day."

michael said as he held the shirt up.

"i'll let you get some sleep."

"wait."

i said as i stopped him before he could leave the room.

"can you sleep with me?"

i asked him. i don't know why but something makes me want michael to be near me. maybe it's just luna. maybe it's something else.

"yeah."

michael said before he crawled into my bed with me. i grabbed michael's arm and wrapped it around my body. again, i don't really know why i want michael close to me. i just do.

"hey alex?"

michael asked.

"yeah?"

"what do you think it's going to be like when luna is finally here?"

michael asked. what a loaded question. i don't know what's going to happen when luna is here. i don't know what's going to go on between michael and i. i don't know if anything is really going to happen between us. it might just be better for us to stay friends. i don't know if i could ever trust michael enough to be with him again.

"i don't know. i'm kinda scared."

i replied.

"why are you scared?"

"because i don't know how to be a mum. and i don't have a mum to show me what to do. i'm really scared i'm gonna mess her up."

i sniffled. it's really hitting me all at once. she's gonna be here in just six weeks. how do you learn everything you need to be a mum in that amount of time?

"hey, don't cry."

michael said as he pulled me over so i was facing him.

"you're going to be the best mum. and if we have any questions, my mum is only a phone call away. i promise you have all the love and support and help in the world."

michael said as he wiped my stray tears.

"thank you. i'm so lucky to have you."

i said with a smile.

"i'm so lucky to have you too. i wouldn't want to become a parent with anyone else. just you, me, and little luna dream clifford."

michael said. as soon as he said luna's last name, my heart stopped. we never discussed luna's last name. i guess it wasn't something we ever planned on. but i also don't think it's a good idea to give michael's last name to luna.

"clifford?"

i asked.

"um, yeah. that's her last name."

"but...what if it was hyphenated?"

"you mean having luna's last name being kerr-clifford?"

"yeah. i don't know if i want to give luna your last name if you're gonna end up leaving."

"i'm not going anywhere alex. she's my daughter."

michael said as he sat up.

"she's my daughter too. and as her mum, i need to protect her."

"protect her from fucking what?!"

"her father who's skipped out on her before! this isn't a discussion. she's having a hyphenated last name."

i said as i turned on my side away from michael.

"she isn't just your child, alexandria. we both need to agree on this."

"well we're obviously not going to fucking agree michael!"

i yelled at him.

"it's only right that she takes my last name. it's tradition."

"what are we in the fucking 50s?!"

"you're being completely irrational."

michael huffed.

"that's it."

i said as i grabbed my bed from the nightstand.

"who are you calling? it's 3am."

"bee."

i said as i put the phone on speaker phone.

"hello?"

bee asked tiredly.

"can you please explain to my daughter's father why she should have a hyphenated last name?"

i yelled into the phone as michael rolled his eyes at me.

"and then will you explain to my daughter's mum why she should take my last name only?"

michael yelled.

"guys, can't this wait till later this morning? it's 3:30am."

i heard calum asked tiredly.

"no. now i don't see why the hell you can't just compromise with me!"

i said to michael.

"oh, and you're just miss understanding over there?"

michael asked.

"well you haven't even tried to see things my way! you've left how many times?! do you really expect me to just trust you 100% enough to give my child your last name?"

"i think you should have enough respect for me as your child's father to give her my last name!"

michael yelled back at me.

"alright, enough you two. it's almost 4am so just shut the fuck up, go sleep in separate rooms, and talk about it in the morning."

calum said.

"but-"

"good night."

calum said before hanging up the phone. michael got out of my bed and walked out of the room as i flopped back down on the bed. i really don't know why michael won't see things my way. this isn't about my ego or anything like that. it's about what's right for luna. and it's not like luna won't have his last name at all. she'll just share both of our last names. i just don't see his issue at all.