the break-up

song for the chapter: don't let it break your heart - louis tomlinson

21 weeks pregnant

"how's it going out here?"

michael asked as he walked into the kitchen. veronica and i have been trying to plan the baby shower for the past week but i can feel the tension coming from her. she really wasn't happy when i told her that michael and i already knew the baby's gender but i think she kept her strong opinion to herself to save my feelings.

"it's going. you sure you don't want to help?"

i asked as i scrolled through themes on my laptop.

"no, it's your guys's thing."

michael said as he reached into the fridge and grabbed out a water bottle.

"of course you don't want to be involved in anything."

veronica mumbled loud enough for both michael and i to hear it.

"what's that suppose to mean, veronica?"

michael asked, clearly pissed off. you see, these two have never been the biggest fans of each other. sure, veronica is friends with the other guys, but she's always just seen michael as bad news. she was supportive when she knew i had feelings for them, but that was only for my sake. not for him.

and it only got worse when i got pregnant theres always been tension there. and after all of my fights with michael, that's when things boiled over for veronica. she wanted me to break it off with him forever and just forget about him but i obviously can't. and i know michael can tell that veronica doesn't like him. he just doesn't say anything for my sake. he tries to keep his distance from her but it's hard when we're all in the same house. 

"well, it's pretty evident that you don't want anything to do with this baby the minute you went on tour, then cheated on her mother, and then had enough balls to call her a whore."

veronica said as she turned to look at michael. i absolutely hate being stuck in the middle of this. it's the worst feeling in the world.

"are you serious veronica?! i love my child and alex and i don't think that not planning a baby shower shows my love for either of them."

"no. but cheating on alex and then calling her the whore sure does."

veronica said. 

"can you guys stop?"

i asked as my heart started pounding. they didn't hear me. anytime two people i love start fighting, my anxiety skyrockets. this is no exception.

"i made one mistake veronica! how many have you made?! you've wanted us to break up since the moment we got together."

michael yelled at veronica. i've honestly never seen him as angry as he is right now.

"because you aren't good for her. her parents were right! all you're going to do is leave her when this baby comes. you aren't fit to be a parent. and now alex is going to be left alone because you can't grow up and grow out of your little fuckboy phase."

veronica yelled back at them.

"guys, please stop. this isn't worth it."

i said as i tried to get in-between them. still didn't get their attention.

"you know what, i'm sick of this. it's me or him, alex."

veronica said as she turned to me. my heart stopped. how do i pick between my best friend and the man i love?

"oh, that's really fair veronica. what friend you are."

michael said.

"shut up michael. you're just scared she'll pick me."

veronica retorted.

"i-i can't choose. i need you both."

i said as tears gathered in my eyes.

"well, i'll choose for you."

veronica said as she grabbed her bag.

"v."

i called but she was already slamming the door behind her. tears fell down my face as michael wrapped me up in a hug.

"i'm sorry baby."

michael whispered as he rubbed my back.

"i-i need her. she's my best f-friend. i-i can't l-lose her."

i sniffled into michael's chest. i don't know what to do now. when michael wasn't here, she was my rock. when michael was on tour...without veronica, who knows what would've happened to the baby and i? and now she's out of my life. just like that. just because i didn't want to choose between her and michael. a part of me is angry because it wasn't fair to give me a ultimatum like that. and a part of me is just devastated that she's gone. i don't know how to go on from something like this.