change your life

song for the chapter: there goes my life - kenny chesney

8 weeks later

running is something that has always been therapeutic to me. when i wanted to join the track team in high school, michael did everything but laugh at me. so, i joined alone. turns out i'm pretty good at running. i was a track star, to be humble about it. so, when we moved to la, i started running on a track not too far from michael and i's house. that's where i met my other best friend, veronica. she's been my rock whenever i can't tell michael or the guys about something. so, of course she keeps my secret about my little crush on michael and all of our one night stands. it's what best friends are for.

as i ran next to veronica, i felt my stomach start to turn. it wasn't long before i had to stop and throw up all of this morning's breakfast into the bushes by the track. veronica came over and started rubbing my back as i emptied my stomach.

"are you okay? that's like, the third time you've thrown up since i picked you up."

veronica said as i wiped my mouth.

"i'm fine, v. it's probably just michael's cooking."

i said with a bit of a giggle.

"good. i was beginning to think you were pregnant or something."

veronica said with her own laugh.

"that's impossible. you'd have to have sex to get pregnant."

i said as i stood up straight. i mean...i haven't had sex since the night of the award show. there's no possible way i could be...no. there can't be any chance. unless... there could be?

"are you okay?"

veronica asked.

"no. what if i am pregnant?"

"when was the last time you had sex?"

veronica asked me with wide eyes.

"that night at the award show with michael. he's the only guy i've had sex with since like...fucking high school!"

"well when was your last period?"

veronica asked, both of us now in full panic mode.

"i-i don't know! i can't even remember my last period!"

"okay, we're going to the pharmacy right now."

veronica said as she grabbed my hand and led me off the track. we went to a nearby pharmacy and grabbed every pregnancy test that we could find and purchased them. as we got back into veronica's car, i broke down into tears.

"i can't be pregnant, v. not with michael's baby. it'll ruin everything for him. they're suppose to go on tour in a few months!"

i sobbed into my hands.

"listen, let's just take the tests and we'll deal with the outcome if it's positive. i'll be here for you."

veronica said as i nodded. we went back to veronica's place and i quickly took every single test. and all of them came back positive. i stared at all of them on the bathroom sink before crying again. veronica wrapped me up into a hug as i sobbed into her shoulder.

"it's gonna be okay, alex. i'm here for both of you."

"how am i going to tell michael? he's going to hate me!"

i sobbed. it's true. he's going to hate me. i ruined his life. i ruined his career. god, i thought we were fucking safe about this. i'm on the pill. michael wore condoms. how the fuck could this happen?

"he's not going to hate you. i thought you were on the pill?"

"i am!"

"did you miss a day?"

"no! i remember taking it that week because i took my antibiotic for my tooth infection at the same time."

i sniffled as i dried my eyes. that's when veronica gasped.

"alex! antibiotics make your birth control stop working!"

"they do?"

"oh my god!"

veronica exclaimed as i sniffled.

"i don't know how i'm gonna tell michael. he's gonna kill me."

i sniffled.

"listen, just go home, put something really sexy on, and just give him the tests. he can't be mad at you if you look hot."

veronica said. i laughed at her statements as a smile grew on my face.

"thanks v. i love you."

"i love you too. you'll get through this."

veronica said as i hugged her.

"i'm gonna be a mum!"

"i'm gonna be an auntie!"

veronica said as we both laughed. i collected up the tests and veronica drove me home. i took a deep breath as we pulled in and i saw michael's car in the driveway.

"you gonna be okay?"

"yeah. i'll call you later."

i said before getting out of veronica's car and walking up to the house. i walked into the house and heard michael's music playing from the kitchen. michael smiled as i walked into the kitchen.

"hey. how was your run?"

he asked.

"good! ...good. listen, i gotta tell you something."

i said as i took a shaky breath. this has got to be the hardest thing i've ever have to do. but it has to be done. he has to know.

"okay...what's up?"

michael asked with suspicion. i pulled the pregnancy tests out of my bag and laid them on the counter in front of him.

"i'm pregnant. it's yours."

i said as tears began to gather in my eyes. michael looked at the tests, his own tears forming in his eyes, before looking back up at me.

"how...how could this happen?! we were safe! this wasn't suppose to fucking happen!"

michael yelled at me.

"i know! i'm sorry! it just happened!"

"I'm suppose to go on a world tour soon! i can't have a kid! i'm still just a fucking kid! i'm only 22! this will ruin my career! this will ruin my life!"

"I'm so sorry michael. i'm so scared."

i sobbed as i leaned my body against the counter and buried my head into my hands. i heard michael sigh before he wrapped his arms around me.

"i'm sorry. i shouldn't have reacted like that. i'm here. i promise."

michael said. i looked up at him and saw the tears rolling down his cheeks.

"you don't have to stay."

"no, i want to. i won't leave you like this. it's my fault too. i'm just scared."

"i am too. but we can do this, right?"

"right."

michael said as wrapped me up into a hug again. to be honest, i'm terrified. i don't know how this is going to work. i don't know what the next few months will look like, let alone the next few years. but at least i know that michael is in. as long as i have him by my side, i can do anything.