lunar eclipse

song for the chapter: you belong - rachel platten

"i guess nothing happened after last night."

michael said as he walked into the kitchen where i was making breakfast. so, we did end up having sex last night. i'd be lying if i said i didn't miss it. i missed being wrapped up in michael's arms afterwards. i miss falling asleep in his arms. and i miss waking up and making breakfast for him, like i am right now.

"um, actually i had a few contractions this morning."

i said as i put the pancakes i was making onto plates.

"what?! why didn't you wake me?"

michael exclaimed.

"because they were just contractions. it's not like my water broke or anything."

i said as i put our plates on the kitchen island.

"well still. i wanna be here for anything."

michael pouted.

"well you're awake now mikey. don't stress about it."

i said with a smile as i squished michael's face.

"you're too cheerful for someone who is about to have a baby."

"well someone has to be. aren't you excited?"

"i'm beyond excited. i'm still just a bit tired."

michael yawned as we sat down at the kitchen island.

"i can't believe that the next time we're here, we're gonna be parents."

"that's insane. we've been talking about her coming for so long. now she actually is. i can't believe it."

michael said. i could see the love he has for luna in his eyes when he talks about her. i think i might be more excited for michael to hold her than he is. i know the love he has for her already is indescribable. i can't wait to finally see it in real life.

after we ate, i began to clean up the dishes when i was hit with another contraction. i dropped the plate i was holding into the sink and michael was immediately by my side.

"how long was that one from the other?"

michael asked.

"about 15 minutes. we don't have to go to the hospital until they're about seven minutes apart or my water breaks. we should go watch a movie and just relax."

i said as i intertwined my hands with michael's.

"whatever you want."

michael said. we settled down on the couch and put a movie on the tv. a few hours pass and my contractions only get closer and closer. a particularly painful one sends michael into panic mode.

"we need to go to the hospital. you are not having her on the couch."

michael said as i try to breathe through the contraction. you'd think i'd be the one to freak out, due to the fact that i'm about to push a baby out. but nope.

"michael, please shut up and just go get the bags."

i said as i sat up, giving into michael's dramatic pleas. he disappeared down the hallway and soon arrived with both luna and i's bags. after the car was packed, he came back in and helped me to put my shoes on. that's when i got another contraction.

"fuck."

i whispered as i wrapped my arms around my stomach. michael placed both of his hands on my inner thighs and rubbed them to sooth me. he really isn't a master of words, but his touch is more than enough comfort.

"you ready?"

michael asked as the contraction ended and he helped me up.

"as ready as i'll ever be."

i said with a slight smile.

+

sixteen hours. that's how fucking long i've been in labor. we arrived at the hospital at 10 in the morning and my contractions started only two hours before that. it's now two in the morning and i just want to go home. but, not to much surprise, luna is being as stubborn as possible.

"i wanna go home."

i whined as michael rubbed my lower back. it didn't do much but just knowing he's there helps. 

"i know. i wish i could take this pain away from you."

michael said. 

"i miss my mum."

i sniffled as tears rushed down my cheeks. this is the moment i need her most. but she doesn't care. she doesn't want to be in my life or her granddaughter's life. and i think that's what hurts the most. 

"i know you do. i'm so sorry she's not here. i wish i could do something to help you."

michael said as he moved his hand from my lower back up to my cheeks to wipe the tears away. i heard the hospital room door open and smiled at the sight i saw.

"mum? what are you doing here?"

michael asked in shock.

"you think i'd miss my granddaughter being born? i was on the first flight down here once you told me."

karen said with a smile. i texted her when i first felt contractions just to make sure they were the real thing. i never thought she'd actually fly all the way down here. but i'm really happy she did.

"i mean, not much is happening. you can go stay at our house if you want."

michael said.

"no! i want her here."

i whined.

"you do?"

"yeah. i can't have my own mum here and karen is the next best thing. please stay."

"oh, of course i'll stay."

karen said with a smile before taking a seat next to me.

+

"i'm never having kids again. especially your kids!"

i yelled at michael as i fell back onto the bed after pushing. two hours of pushing has barley made a dent. twenty-two hours of labor wasn't enough for you, luna?

"she's still got a bit of stubbornness from you too."

michael said as i rolled my eyes.

"just a few more pushes and she'll be here. i promise."

karen said as i nodded. as i began to push again, i squeezed michael's hand really hard.

"oww, jesus fuck you've got a grip."

michael said as both karen and i glared at him.

"you're really complaning about your hand while she's pushing a baby out?"

karen scolded.

"just shush michael."

i said as i flopped back down on the bed. after another hour of pushing, cries filled the room and luna was placed on my chest. tears fell down my face as i stared at my perfect little girl. there's no words to explain the love i have for her.

"i want another one."

i said with a smile as i looked up at michael, tears streaming down his face as well.

"we can have as many as you want if they're as perfect as her."

michael sniffled as we both stared down at luna. there's nothing more beautiful or perfect in this world than her. there's no thing or person i love more than her. i finally know what all the mothers were saying when they say that you won't feel love until you hold your child. they were so right. she is the embodiment of love.