home sweet home

song for the chapter: out of the woods - taylor swift

"are you ready to go home princess?"

i asked luna as she stared up at me with her big green eyes. after just a night in the hospital, they're finally letting us go home. i'd be lying if i didn't say that i was scared to bring luna home. it's easy when there's nurses here to answer our every question. when we get home, there's no help. it's just michael and i on our own. that's absolutely terrifying.

"okay everything is loaded into the car."

michael said as he walked into the hospital room. 

"now we just have to wait for them to discharge us."

i sighed as i tore my eyes away from luna to look up at michael.

"everything alright?"

michael asked me.

"yeah. just nervous. we're all alone when we go home. it's going to be hard."

"hard but worth it."

michael said as i nodded. a few minutes passed and a nurse came into discharged us. she wheeled luna and i out in a wheelchair while michael drove the car into the pull-around. after luna was put into her car seat and michael helped me into the backseat with her, we were on our way home.

"i can't wait to get you home. your crib is going to be so much better then that hospital cot. or you'll just end up sleeping in mummy and daddy's room."

i said to luna as she began to nod off to sleep.

"she doing okay back there?"

michael asked as he definitely was driving way under the speed limit. 

"she's fine. you can drive like a normal person, you know."

i said.

"nope. not taking any chances with you two back there. besides, nobody in this town knows how to drive."

michael said as i laughed. after we finally arrived home, michael helped me out of the car and then handed luna's car seat over to me. he grabbed the bags and we walked into the house. when i flipped on the house lights, all of our friends popped out from behind the living room furniture.

"welcome home!"

they all exclaimed as tears gathered in my eyes. damn leftover hormones.

"you guys."

i sniffled as i wiped my tears. i looked over at michael, who of course had the cheekiest grin on his face.

"did you know about this?"

"i might've had a hand in it. but it was really all calum and bee's doing."

michael admitted as he took luna's car seat from me. i smiled as i ran over to calum and bee and engulfed them in a hug.

"thank you guys."

i said.

"of course. we're godparents. we're like, obligated to celebrate everything in luna's life. even if that's just coming home."

calum said as i laughed. michael sat luna's car seat on the couch and i carefully took the now awake newborn out of her carrier.

"let me hold my niece!"

bee said as they made grabby hands towards luna.

"maybe we should let other people hold her first."

calum said as he placed his hand on bee's shoulders and bee pouted. i laughed as sierra sat next to me and i placed luna into her arms.

"ah, look at her! she looks just like you michael."

sierra exclaimed with a huge smile on her face. 

"she really does. she's even got his eyes."

kaykay said with a smile as she stared down at luna. i looked over at luke and ashton, who looked very out of place.

"you guys know she doesn't have any teeth yet. she won't bite."

i joked at them.

"i know i just...like them when they're older."

ashton said.

"are you saying you don't like my daughter irwin?"

i asked as i raised an eyebrow at him.

"i...um..uh-"

"i'm messing with you. i get it. what's your excuse hemmings?"

i asked luke.

"well, i'm quite tall and quite clumsy. i don't wanna hurt her."

luke said.

"oh, you won't hurt her."

sierra said as she stood up and carefully placed her in his arms. luke looked out of place for a moment before luna cuddled herself into his arms.

"wow, i guess you really are her least favorite uncle ash."

michael joked as ashton rolled his eyes. everyone took turns holding luna and cooing over her before she finally made her way back to michael and i.

"i think you guys have tired her out."

i said as luna yawned in my arms.

"well, we can all get out of your guys' hair. but cal and i will be back tomorrow morning."

bee said.

"no we won't."

calum protested.

"fine, i'll be here first thing in the morning."

"no they won't."

calum said as he practically forced bee out the door, everyone else following behind them.

"and then there were three."

michael said as i began to rock luna to sleep.

"yeah. it's the beginning of parenthood. you nervous?"

"a bit. you?"

"terrified."

"well i've got you. don't worry about it."

michael said as he placed a kiss on my temple. this is it. it's the biggest test of our lives. can you manage to keep this little human alive and from not becoming a terrible person? god, i hope so.