goodbye for now

song for the chapter: fix you - coldplay

"that's the last of it."

michael said as he placed his last suitcase by the door. i wiped away my stray tears and sighed. i've been trying to soak up the last few days michael is here but it's hard when i know what's coming. i just want him to be here a little longer. or to not leave at all. but it seems like time likes to work against us.

"please don't cry. i know four months seems like a long time but it'll fly by. i promise."

michael said as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

"or maybe it just is a long time."

"i know. i really wish i didn't have to go. but i promise i'll send you lots of pictures and postcards and i'll call you every chance i can. it'll be like i never left."

michael said. i wish i could believe that it will feel like that but...he is gonna be gone. i'll be here with luna, all alone for the next four months. no friends or family in sight. it's going to be hard. i just hope i can get through it.

"i know. it just hurts."

i sighed.

"i know it does. but it's going to be okay. we're strong enough to get through this. i love you."

"i love you too."

i said as i placed a kiss on michael's lips. he walked off the say goodbye to luna as i heard a car pull-up outside. calum and bee are picking michael up so i could say goodbye to them too. i wish i could bring luna and just go to the airport to say goodbye to everyone but she's just too little for that.

"alex!"

bee yelled with a smile as they nearly tackled me.

"bee! i'm gonna miss you."

i said as the tears started pouring down my face again. i think this is what makes the guys leaving just so much harder. i'm not going to have my best friend around to keep my company. it's just going to be luna and i. how am i suppose to just hang out with a newborn for four months?

"i'm gonna miss you too. but i'll keep michael in line the whole time. i promise."

bee said as we both laughed.

"you're gonna keep me in line?"

michael asked as he walked over to where bee and i were while holding luna.

"there's my goddaughter!"

bee said as they swiftly took luna from michael's arms.

"aw, i'm going to miss you little one. you better take good care of your mummy for me while i'm gone. keep her in line while i try and control your daddy."

bee said as i laughed.

"we better get going."

calum said, bringing everyone's moods instantly down. bee handed luna back over to me and gave me one last hug.

"i guess you have to go."

i said as i looked up at michael.

"yeah. but i'll call you as soon as we land, okay?"

"okay. i love you."

"i love you too."

michael said as he placed a kiss to my lips and then to luna's forehead. calum helped michael grab his bags and pack them into their car and before i knew it, they were gone. i looked down at luna and sighed.

"what are we going to do now?"

+

"please go back to sleep."

i whined as luna continued to scream her little head off. remember when i said that luna is an easy baby? yeah, that only applies when her dad is around. because she's been crying for the last three hours and i just can't seem to figure out what's wrong with her. i placed luna down in her bassinet as my phone began to ring.

"hello?"

i said as i quickly tried to wipe the frustration tears from my face.

"hey. sorry for calling so late i just thought you might be up with luna. you okay?"

michael asked as his face appeared on my screen. 

"no. luna won't stop crying."

i cried.

"really? she's usually so easy."

"yeah when you're around. god, i'm an awful mother."

"alex, stop. you aren't a bad mum. she's just adjusting to it being just you and her. let me see her."

michael said. i turned my phone so that michael could see luna and luna could see michael. 

"hey pretty girl. there's no need to cry. daddy is right here."

michael said. as soon as luna heard his voice, her crying stopped. and that only made me cry harder.

"alex, please don't cry."

michael said as i turned the phone back to me.

"i-i'm just tired. i'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?"

"yeah. love you."

michael said before i hung up. i looked down at luna, who's eyes are barley open at this point, and wiped my tears away. this can't be the next four months. it's going to be impossible if it is. is luna ever going to adjust to it just being me? does luna even like me? or am i really just a bad mum?