take a toll

song for the chapter: the best damn thing - avril lavigne

michael's pov

"you ready for tonight?"

luke asked as i tuned my guitar. i didn't know quite how to respond to that. although i'm excited for the packed crowd, all i can think about is alex and luna. i want to go home to them so bad. i want alex to be okay and i don't think she will be until she's back into my arms.

this tour can't ruin our relationship like it did the last time. it just can't. i've tried so hard to prove to alex that i'll be a good enough father and boyfriend to her and luna. i don't wanna lose them. but it's hard not to when i'm thousands of miles away from them.

"yeah."

i sighed. we heard yelling coming down the hall and both turned our heads to see bee and calum yelling at each other. it's not like them at all.

"what's their deal?"

luke asked.

"no clue."

i said as i shrugged my shoulders. i saw bee storm away and calum walked over to us with his head hung.

"you okay? that looked rough."

luke said.

"yeah. bee is just upset because they got into a fight with alex."

calum said. luke and i both looked at him surprised. it's not like bee and alex to get into a fight. something must be really bad.

"what happened?"

i asked.

"i guess samantha is coming to town and bee thinks she's bad news. can't say to blame them."

"samantha? like...alex's sister samantha?"

"that's the one."

calum said. sam and i have never been too fond of each other. she's just like the rest of alex's family. but i always just kept my mouth shut cause alex and her were always close. well, until her whole family disowned her for getting pregnant.

"so what does that have to do with the two of you?"

luke asked.

"well, bee was acting just really cold towards me and snapping at me. i tried to ask them what happened and they snapped at me again and it just spiraled into a fight."

calum explained. it sucks that alex and bee's fight caused calum and bee to fight. they really don't ever fight so alex and bee must both be really hurt.

"i'm gonna go call alex and make sure she's alright."

i said as i grabbed my phone and headed towards our dressing room.

alex's pov

i wiped the tears away from my face as i heard my phone ring next to me. i hate fighting with bee. it's the absolute worst feeling. they're my best friend and i know they want what's best for me. but at the same time, this is my family. they know how badly i've been missing my family. i can't choose between them.

"hello?"

i sniffled as i propped the phone up.

"hey bubs. how are you?"

michael asked as he appeared on the screen.

"i'm okay."

"you sure? i heard about you and bee's fight. bee seems pretty broken up about it and i wanted to check on you."

michael said as i pulled my legs up onto the rocking chair. after the fight with bee, i just wanted to be around luna. so i decided to just sit on the rocking chair in the nursery.

"it just hurts. they don't like my family. none of you guys do. and yeah, i get it, they aren't the best people. but they're my family. and i've wanted my family back so bad. this could be a step in the right direction."

i sniffled.

"i know. don't worry about bee. they'll get over it. just try and have a good time with sam. before i go, can i ask you something?"

michael asked.

"yeah."

"are we good? do i have to be worried about us?"

"yeah. we're fine. i don't wanna talk about the other night. i just miss you a lot."

"i miss you too. and i love you. tell luna i love her too."

"i will. have fun tonight. love you."

"love you too."

michael said before hanging up. i rested my head back on the rocking chair and sighed. i hope bee and i can get over this. i don't wanna lose them as my best friend. they're all i have left. i can't lose them like this.