friend or foe

song for the chapter: even if it breaks your heart - eli young band

"there's my beautiful niece. it's so nice to finally meet you."

veronica said as she carefully rocked luna back and forth. veronica was the only person i could think of that might be able to help me. i know she's not the best person and that she probably has something up her sleeve, but i just need a break. even if it's just to shower.

"you sure you've got her?"

i asked veronica as i handed her a bottle.

"we're fine alex. go take a shower. you desperately need one."

veronica said with a laugh as i playfully rolled my eyes. i walked into the bathroom, got undressed, turned the water on, and just stood under the steaming faucet. the hot water helped to just unravel all the tenseness in my body. it really felt amazing. i feel like i get a lot of my thinking done in the shower. it's somewhere i can just release all my emotions or whatever has been tormenting me without judgement.

i feel awful for yelling at michael. i don't know what came over me. it's like that dark cloud just clouded my thought process. it wasn't right regardless. and i wish i could apologize to him but...god knows where in the world he is.

i finished up my shower and quickly threw some comfy clothes and my hair up into a towel on my head. i walked out to the living room and sat next to veronica on the couch.

"she's out already?"

i asked as i saw luna was asleep in veronica's arms.

"yeah. she loves me already. looks like i should be her godmother."

veronica said with a satisfied smirk on her face.

"that roles already been filled."

"by who?"

"bee and calum are her godparents."

"bee...isn't she like...not a girl?"

veronica asked.

"they go by they/them pronouns. don't be rude veronica."

"i'm not being rude it's just...weird. how can they be a godmother is they aren't a girl?"

"pronouns don't matter. it's about who loves luna the most. cal and bee love luna like she's their own child."

"well i love her more than them. i think i should just get the title instead."

veronica said as she looked back down at luna. before i could say anything, my phone went off. 

"who's blowing you up?"

veronica asked.

"um...samantha."

"samantha as in, like, you're sister samantha?"

"yeah."

i said as i looked at the text on my phone.

"since when does she talk to you?"

"i reached out to her yesterday before i reached out to you. i really miss my family and she's talking about coming to visit luna and i and seeing how she can help rekindle our family."

"that's great."

"yeah. i just hope it works out well."

i said with a sigh. that's when i heard my phone ring and bee's name lit up across my screen.

"hey bee."

i said as i picked up.

"hey. how are you and luna doing?"