30. "Ride along"

I woke up late, a little after one, from work until two in the morning

I woke up late, a little after one, from work until two in the morning. I wasn't supposed to stay all night because almost everyone was on the clock, but we had a few famous athletes, and they wanted every guard working. I didn't mind because I met the Rams' quarterback and had a long talk about football and plays. He was a cool dude before he got drunk and started blowing wads of money on the girls.

After I showered, I quickly shaved around my jaw and threw on a graphic t-shirt, black sweatpants with a single white stripe, and my Air Jordan 1's. I had checked the weather, seeing it was cloudy, but it wasn't going to rain. It rarely rains but tends to surprise me.

When I finished getting dressed, I grabbed my keys and left my apartment

When I finished getting dressed, I grabbed my keys and left my apartment. When I got outside, I was pissed that I put on long sleeves because it was still hot as hell. I got myself situated before starting my bike and heading for my dad's.

I didn't want to go to my dad's because the last time we saw each other ended badly. We both didn't bother talking to each other, and my Mom doesn't know how bad it was. She just thinks it's about me not wanting to work with him, and it's not that simple.

When I pulled up to the two-floored home, I parked, noticing more cars in his driveway. He might have company, but I didn't care. He had the same size home, 2,300 square feet, like my Mom. The only difference was he had more bedrooms, and she had more bathrooms. I placed my helmet on the seat as I jumped off the bike, adjusting my sweats. 

I exhaled as I walked through the lawn to the porch. When I approached the stoned-like home, I leaned against the front pillar, building up the energy to knock on the door. I didn't come to fight, but I do have a temper when it comes to him.

I raised my fist to knock on the glass a few times before turning around and waiting. My vision landed on my bike, which badly needed detailing. I got caught up, thinking of ideas, when I heard the doorknob rattle.

I slowly turned away, tucking my hands in my jeans. I was expecting to see Luke, my Dad, but a younger guy with a shaven face answered. He had to have been in his early twenties with light brown hair and dark eyes.

When his eyebrows twitched, I said, "Who the hell are you?"

He made a face and gestured his eyes. "Uh, Jonah?" His voice sounded like he didn't hit puberty yet.