43. "Gibby"

Labor Day

Labor Day

It was a little after four when I pulled up to the address Rachel gave me. The mile-long driveway was already packed with cars, trucks, and Gael's bike. I wasn't nervous at first, but it caught up to me on the way here. It's already crazy enough that I met his Mom, but now his entire family is here, and who knows what they're going to think. And I had no idea what to expect.

I parked across the street and sat in my car longer than I should've. I pushed the mirror down, running my finger over my red lipstick and checking my straight hair.

I took a deep breath, grabbed the strawberry pie I baked, and removed myself from the vehicle. Since I don't own many flag colors, I went with my only red Bohemian ankle-length maxi dress with a high slit.

As I walked up the stamped driveway, my eyes landed on the beautiful home that Gael grew up in and melted. The house was white with black framed windows giving a bold finish and double doors, held together by pillars on the porch. There were so many windows that you could see the beauty of the inside with soft-lit accents of light.

There was a stoned path that led you through the well-attended garden with flowers, trees, and rocks. The whole place was cozy and welcoming, and I understand wanting to be on your own, but how can you leave this place?

The closer I got to the gate, the more I could hear the laughter and loud voices along with the different smells of food. I shook off my nerves and pushed the door open to the back yard. The area was heavily decorated with red, white, and blue everything: table clothes, streamers, banners, props, and signs. A large table sat in the center with food, desserts, drinks, and a grill/food prep station.

My eyes widened at the large numbers of people, including kids, running around, screaming, and playing games. I forced myself to walk further into the party, noticing the stares from people wondering who the hell I was.

"Cassie," I quickly turned my head to follow the voice. I was excited to see a familiar face. "You look precious. Thank you sooo much for coming." Rachel jogged in my direction, wearing a flag-themed t-shirt, jeans, sandals, and festive red eyeshadow. She's so cute.

She pulled me into an uncomfortable hug because I still had the pie in my hands. When she pulled away, I flashed a toothy smile. "No. Thank you for inviting me. You have a beautiful home." I breathed out and pushed the strawberry pie toward her chest. "This is for you. It's just pie."

"My skills pay off, huh?" She grabbed the box and wiggled her thin eyebrows. "And aw, you shouldn't have. I'm sure this will be gone by tonight. The appetite of my family is ridiculous."

I took another look around, grateful to be here. "I've never been to any family gatherings or things like this. It's a nice change for me." I added, roaming my eyes around her red face. It was a nice, hot day, and the sun beamed on my skin, but luckily I covered myself in sunscreen before I left.