53. "Never too late"

Saturday, October 31st

"Hello," I answered the phone, thinking and hoping it was my mom. It was Halloween, my birthday, and I'd assume she'd try and call me. I haven't heard from her in a couple of weeks, and at one point, I thought about giving up.

"Happy birthday to you!" Emmy yelled into the phone, reversing my frown into a big smile. "You smell like a zoo. You look like a monkey, and you smell like one too." I erupted in laughter, listening to her repeat herself multiple times with so much energy in her little voice.

I laughed, putting Emereigh on speaker while I dried my wet body off. "Thank you, sweetheart. You just made my entire day so much better; you know that?" I chuckled. "But I thought you told me that I smelled good! Did you lie?" I asked, putting my robe on that smelled like Gael.

"No, you do smell good." She said, sounding winded like she was out of breath. "I'm sorry I didn't call and tell you earlier. My daddy took me to the park and wouldn't let me use his phone. I'm hiding under my bed because he's going to take it."

While I let the bathroom cool off, I laid my costume out for tonight. "Don't be sorry. All that matters is that you did, and it made my day."

"I have a present for you! But—" She stopped talking as the phone line became muffled. "Wait! Daddy, wait!" She grumbled.

"Who are you on the phone with?" Rick asked before saying, "Hello? Who is this?"

"Hi, Rick. It's Cassie. Emereigh was just telling me happy birthday." I said, hoping she didn't get in trouble for anything.

He took a long pause and laughed. "You could've just told me that, baby." He said to his daughter. "Happy Birthday Cassie, but this little one has to help me pass out this candy."

"Thank you both," I exclaimed. "Goodnight, have fun and happy Halloween."

Once I hung up, I headed straight into the bathroom to get ready for tonight. Gael told me we were going to stop at his mom's Halloween party, even though I'm way past Gatsby themed with my costume. He said it didn't matter, and she wouldn't care because we weren't staying long. I thought I would have to work tonight, but Lily had to stay, and they gave me off.

I'm running a little behind as always, but it shouldn't take me long to do my makeup and hair. I did a soft look, exaggerating my highlighter and mascara. Instead of caking my face, I wanted to keep the angelic thing going on since I'm an angel tonight. I dragged a tube of mauve lipstick across my lips, coating it with lip gloss before putting light curls in my straight hair.