45. "Four fools in the woods"

"Cassie," Gael yelled from the bottom floor of my apartment

"Cassie," Gael yelled from the bottom floor of my apartment. "I know you're always late, and we're leaving in like twenty minutes. Let's go." I stopped digging through my drawers and laughed.

I whined. "I don't know what to pack? What do I even wear?" I asked, hearing Gael jog up the steps. When he got to my bedroom, he glanced around my messy room.

"You know we're only gone for less than two days, right?" Gael said before telling me to hold on while he answered his phone. "Well, that's a nice way to say, hey." He groaned.

I couldn't tell who it was, but it sounded like a woman. "I don't care," He ran his hands through his hair. "I just called because I can't come in tonight. My grandma Margaret died, and I have to go to her funeral, Courtney."

While he finished his call, I started throwing random items into my suitcase because I tend to overpack. I don't care if it was one day; I have to be prepared for everything. Gael was nice enough to invite us to his family's cabin for the next two days, and we were all excited. Something about being in the woods, surrounded by nature, seemed so relaxing to me. But then again, I watch so many scary movies, and I couldn't help but think of Jason or something.

Jokingly, I said, "I heard you had a type. Is Courtney a part of it too?"

Gael seemed shocked at my comment. "Who told you that?"

"Sophia. At the party," I made a face as he threw one of my shirts at me. "Apparently, I look like Tori. Does Courtney?"

He rolled his neck and groaned. "No, none of you look-alike, just have brown hair. And Tori popped up at my mom's house on some weird shit, trying to mess up her garden."

Damn. He does seem like the type to attract crazy women. "So, you like dark-haired girls? No, blondes? Why?"

"I just don't find them attractive. I don't know," He shrugged, laying back on my bed. "You done interrogating me?"

I hummed, zipping my suitcase as I laughed. "Hm, I don't know," I teased. "I kind of wondered why you picked me and not Brooklyn on the cruise. She's this blonde bombshell, and I'm just normal."

"Brooklyn's my girl, but not my type." Gael swiped his nose, "Imagine dating someone that's rich, and y'all get into an argument, and she tries calling you broke because her family makes more or some shit. Noah and I have different taste, obviously."

I parted my lips to speak, but Gael beat me. "And...I told you, Courtney and I were playing board games. Twister, actually. It's my favorite."

"Wow," I stood up and walked in his direction as he sat up. "Are you still playing it? Twister?"

"Hell no," Gael's face scrunched. "But hurry the hell up, Cass."

"Wait! Do you have a grandma, Margaret?" I asked as he pushed me between his legs and looked up at me.