78. "Mothers know best"

Saturday, December 15th

"This is the first time we've been out without everyone else

"This is the first time we've been out without everyone else. Even though our relationship is growing, I would love for us to have that bond, you know? I want you to be able to come to me for anything, you hear?" Rachel said, sipping the coffee cupped in her hands. She was in the area and decided to meet up for coffee because I had told her that I couldn't make it for Christmas at her house. I wanted to, but I still felt that I needed space away from Gael for a while. Rachel was really sweet about it, though, and it sucks I'm missing her celebration. I love Christmas.

I had gotten situated in my seat after going to the bathroom for the second time already. "Of course. I would love that, and thank you so much for everything already," I nodded, taking a sip of the mango iced tea that I ordered. Rachel stuck with a caramel macchiato that almost made my mouth water.

"No coffee?" She asked, making a face. "I see you eyeballing my drink. Want to try it?"

I laughed at how she caught me. "No, thanks. I'm laying off coffee for a bit."

"Sucks for you," she smiled, showing her white teeth. "So, how is everything? Gael told me about the teaching job. Are you excited?"

I took a long sip of my drink, almost finishing it. "It's good so far. Studying the curriculum now and having to sub for the remainder of the year until I prove myself. Then after that trial period, they're going to pick out the three of us who get to stay."

"That's good news, Cassie. What made you want to be a teacher?" She asked.

I inhaled and said, "I had a teacher once that inspired me, and I guess I looked up to her. I loved English, and I love any and everything literature-wise, so I felt it would be good for me. Besides, I wouldn't know what else to do or what I'm good at. I write a lot, poetry."

"You're so young and so intelligent. It's not every day you come across a young woman that holds herself the way that you do. I'm not just saying that because I like you, but I knew the moment I met you. You're not like any other girl I've seen around my kid," Rachel informed, making a small smile appear across my face. We're out to bond, and I didn't want to give her the idea that something was wrong. No, I didn't want to just talk about my relationship, nor make the problem bigger than it already is.

"I can't take all of the compliments," I gushed, pushing my hair behind my back. "Ugh. I have to go to the bathroom again. Excuse me."

Once again, I rose from my seat and walked down the tight aisle to the bathroom. I've been really trying to hydrate more, but it's killing my bladder. After I released myself, I washed my hands and glared at my reflection in the dirty mirror.

When I finished, I made my way back to the table, making eye contact with Rachel as she put her phone down. Gael really had a beautiful family with extremely strong genes. She wore her hair in a low bun with wavy pieces framing her fair skin, a striped collared blouse, and low-riding jeans.