82. "Promises"

"—Wait! Did I hear that right?" My mom asked, "This Zane guy, your old boss is your uncle on your biological parent's side? And he hit you like that?"

After we walked around Beach Plaza, I took my mom to Gael's boat hideout as I told her the entire story about Zane. We both went through abuse, and if there's anyone I could talk to about this, it would be her. I didn't leave anything out. I told her everything, starting with the cruise, the apartment, and the job.

I nodded, sucking in my bottom lip as I focused my vision on the water. "My real dad's brother, and apparently, he's untouchable. He has so much power over everyone and did this to me."

"So, he came after you because of Gael?" She tried understanding.

"Gael and his friend owed him money, and they couldn't pay it back, so they worked for him. We all quit at the same time, and Gael didn't tell me any of this. I walked into that club expecting to bartend, and I thought I had everything figured out, but it all crashed, Mom," I whined, taking a deep breath.

She laid her hand on my shoulder. "This is all my fault, Cassie. You shouldn't have been living in those conditions and felt like you had to run away. I was your legal guardian, and I had promised to care for you, and I failed. I'm so sorry. I hope one day you can forgive me. If only I had cut it loose sooner, it could've just been us. But now it's still happening, and I feel terrible. I've always felt terrible. But hearing this right now, this has to end."

I blinked off in space, processing her words. "I want it to end. I can't live like this, looking over my shoulder. I hate being mad at Gael because I know he's trying, but I'm soft. I shouldn't feel bad because I'm in this situation because of him. But I appreciate you apologizing to me. I'm trying to work on forgetting about the past and throwing away that part of my life."

"But how can you when—"

I cut her off. "I have a baby coming soon. I need to focus on the future and not the past." As soon as I said that, it's like something clicked inside of me. In seven months, nothing is going to be about me anymore. My life is going to change, and I don't need this environment for him. Yes, I already assumed he's a boy, and I'm rolling with it. I want to give him the world, and I can't with people like Zane in the way. So, I know exactly what I'm going to do. This is life or death, and I don't want to live in fear. I chose me, my baby, and the future. 

"You're right," She shook her head with a sad look in her eyes. I don't want anyone to feel bad for me. I've dealt with my own issues ever since I could remember, and this isn't any different. "Is there anything I can do? You've come so far, and I've never said this before, but I'm so proud of you, Cassie. I wish I were as strong as you were. And you're going to be a much, much better mom than I ever could."

"I'm going to handle it," I said confidently. "But that means so much to me. I'm proud of you too. This is your time to start over because everyone doesn't get a second chance."