6. "You should smile more"

Hundreds of other guests and I decided to go to the beach on the worst day possible

Hundreds of other guests and I decided to go to the beach on the worst day possible. I didn't bring a jacket, and I got chills from the wind hitting my skin and blowing my hair. The neon blue sky was threaded with silver as I sat on the beach with my headphones in, reading a book I never finished. I jumped into the water for a split second until I immediately froze. My entire body was in shivers, and my teeth wouldn't stop chattering. Not a smart idea. 

The waves were steadily creeping towards me, and there were no birds in sight. I had on a white crinkled two-piece bikini with a matching cover-up skirt that complimented my tanned skin.

My music was so loud that I didn't hear anything around me, which is probably dangerous, but I didn't care. It's been a few days, and I haven't heard from my Mom, not once, and it was nice not being Craig's play toy. I didn't want the trip to come to an end, even though I didn't do much but stay to myself.

As I looked down to continue reading, my head jerked, feeling something crash into the back of my head. My headphones fell out before noticing the football land on my towel. I drew a blank, reminding myself that Craig isn't here. I lost count of how many things around the house that he's thrown at me, and it reminded me of just that.

"Oh, I know her, it's all good," A familiar voice said behind me as I turned around to see the guy that spoke to me the other day. Maybe it's because we're on the ship, but he's everywhere I look, and he makes it known by staring at me. We made split eye contact as I clenched my jaw. I paid more attention to the details of his face; his jawline was sharp with a five o'clock shadow sneaking in and bright green eyes that resembled mine. They were mesmerizing, drawing me into his face. Thick, dark eyebrows and curly light brown hair that fit him so well. I ignored the fact that he was shirtless with ink decorating his broad arms and most of his legs. He was tatted and had one hell of a body.

"You do not know me, and it's not all good, actually! Maybe watch where you throw that thing." I said, quickly gathering my belongings. Bad memories crowded my mind, and I couldn't help how defensive I had gotten. 

"I think what you meant to say is: he should learn how to catch, right?" The friend yelled before a crack of thunder rippled through the sky, starling everyone—even me.