74. "Downhill"

Cassie is italics | Gael is bold

"Babe, you've been in bed almost the entire week," Gael said as I removed the pillow from over my head. I thought I was getting better last week, but I feel fucking worst. I feel drained and sleepy all the time, hungry but feel sick trying to eat, and extremely nauseous. I figured that I had the flu because these were the same symptoms I had a couple of years ago. "Maybe you should see someone? A doctor."

I pushed the pillow under my stomach for support. "I'm fine. I think it's the flu; it happened before, which means I'm contagious."

My boyfriend pushed my hair away from my hot, sweaty face. "I kissed you and slept next to you every night. Either I'm immune or have it and don't know. I don't care," he said, moving his hands to my shoulders.

I shook my head. "But I don't want you to get sick." I was so miserable and honestly didn't feel like going to the hospital. But I also don't want to affect anyone if that's the case.

"I'm supposed to take care of you. Don't worry about me," he urged, leaning over to kiss my shoulder. "Let me take you to the hospital. Stop being like that."

Not having any energy, I said, "I'll go tomorrow."

"No, we're going now," He barked with an assertive tone.

"Babe," I whined, "Please. I promise I'll go first thing tomorrow morning, but I can't right now. I feel like I'm going to throw up." I leaned over, leveling my face with the trash can by my bed. I adored that Gael didn't run, seeing me like this. He's been so helpful, coming to check on me on his breaks to make sure that I didn't die. And when he couldn't take a break, Rachel would come and check on me. It was sweet, and I appreciate him and his family more than anything.

Gael chewed the gum in his mouth, holding my hair. "I'll be at work, though? Should I call off?"

"No," I shook my head. "I'll be fine, I promise. I'm probably just being dramatic, but don't worry."

Gael got up and stood over me. "I'm going to get clean clothes from my place, and I'll be back, cool?"

"I know this is going to sound dumb because you've been here all week, but I don't think you should sleep here until I get medicine. I know you're not feeling sick, but just to be safe." I exhaled, fully sitting up.

Being overprotective, he said, "No."

"Yes," I roared, overpowering his answer. "I'm still able to move and take care of myself. I'm just being lazy because my stomach is killing me."

"You'll call if you need something, right?" He asked, and I wanted to kiss him so badly. I never had someone care for me and my wellbeing like this before. I'd do the same for him, but naturally, men are big babies when they get sick.

"Of course," I pushed, creasing a smile. "I love you."

"I love you too. I'll be back later, or in the morning, I guess."