13. "What the fuck"

Three long days later, I had spent most of my time getting my new apartment together

Three long days later, I had spent most of my time getting my new apartment together. It was still hard to believe that I moved and am now on my own. I always thought of myself as being independent, but this is the test. This should've happened when I turned eighteen, but I couldn't right away.

I didn't mind sleeping on the floor because it was quiet, and I didn't have to hear yelling or fighting until the sun came up. I haven't heard from my Mom again since the airport, and she didn't answer when I called back. I know she's pissed that I left, but there's only so much a person can handle, which surprises me that she chooses to live with him.

On the bright side, I got most of the hard stuff done. I paid the delivery guy in the store to transport my mattress, reasonably priced furniture sets and a dining room set that I couldn't say no to. It was one of those moments that I tried telling myself to find something cheaper and be smart, but I couldn't. It was a small glass table with four metal wire chairs to match. It was unique; I've never seen anything like it.

"That was all of it," The bald, bulky driver said as he set my mattress on the platform in my bedroom.

"Thank you so much for helping on such short notice." I grabbed my wallet, handing him the amount I owed. I didn't really know how expensive everything was doing it on your own.

With a thick accent, he said, "No problem. Have a good day." He took the rest of the money and walked off as I closed the door behind him.

I had been out all morning and afternoon furniture hunting and didn't feel like putting anything away. The time difference must be catching up to me because I've been feeling drained for the last couple of days and haven't done much. I couldn't wait for my place to feel like home and didn't have to work as hard to be comfortable.

Right as I sat down, noticing how bored I was, I jumped to the sound of pounding on my door. I froze in place, wondering, hoping whoever it was had the wrong apartment. There's no way I could have crazy neighbors already. It reminded me of my old neighbors, banging on the wall until the arguing stopped.

So, I waited, but the knocking wouldn't stop. They got louder, and I couldn't take it anymore. I shot up from the wired chair and stomped to the door. As soon as I stood up, I realized how hungry I was. I haven't eaten all day, which reminded me that I needed to go grocery shopping.

I swung the door back, two seconds from giving whoever it was a piece of my mind, but then my jaw dropped. I opened my mouth and closed it again, wondering if this was all in my head. But why would I be thinking of Gael? At my door? Wearing nothing but a black windbreaker, no shirt underneath, showing the build of his abs that I found myself lingering longer than I hoped, and jeans that hung off his waist. And his hair was pushed to the front under his white hat and a freshly shaven face.

He grinned as he noticed my eyes. Typical. "What the fuck," my eyebrows narrowed in confusion. "Did you follow me? What the—"

I've seen a lot of weird things, but this by far the oddest thing that has ever happened to me.