61. "The 's' word"

Charlie/Cassie is italics | Gael is bold

"Congrats, Dad. I knew she'd say yes," I said into the phone as I sat on my bike in my parking spot. I had spent most of the morning with Charlie before we went to the gym. Noah was also there, but I left before he did. "What now?" I asked.

"I did too. But you always have to be prepared for a no," He laughed, "Uh, we want to have a quick wedding, get it over with, so we're going to try and shoot for two months."

"Shit. That's a lot to do in two months." I wiped my hands down my face and sighed.

My dad agreed. "Shit is going to have me busy for sure. But the next steps would be me calling you to come to get a suit. We'll go together, cool?"

"Yeah, just let me know, and I'll be there. I'm happy for you." I said.

He cleared his throat. "Thanks, son. How are things with you?"

I shrugged and clicked my teeth. "Okay, I guess. Just normal bullshit."

"If you have to guess, then something is wrong, G."

Without thinking, I massaged my temple and said, "Got into a fight with Cassie. It's all good. I don't need a speech, pops."

"Well, make it right because you have a plus one. And I would like to meet this girl since she's got you worked up, and you swore you'd never get into a relationship." He spoke into the phone.

With a deep sigh, I said, "Let me call you back when I get to my apartment."

"I'll call you. I'm still at work." He laughed. Once we said bye, I hung up as I started making my way to the steps. I haven't heard from Cassie since last night, and I didn't want to bother her if she didn't want to talk.

I poked at my sweaty shirt and scrolled through my phone. "Gael?" I heard Brooke call out to me from behind.

I lifted my head and turned around. "What's up, Brooke?" When I faced her, she looked like she had just gotten back from practice wearing a long t-shirt, spandex, and her damp hair in a ponytail.

"You tell me," She whipped her neck, squinting her eyes under the beating sun. I'm not in the mood for mind games right now.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I asked, gulping water from my water bottle. I was hot as hell, sweating bullets, and wanted to shower.

"You know I mean you and Cassie," she said plainly, adjusting her backpack.

I sucked my teeth. That didn't take long at all. "Let me guess. She told you about how she went off on me? For no reason?"

Brooke nodded. "But I'd like to hear it from you." There's nothing to tell or hear. I fucked up, and she probably hates me. When I said that she was my job, I meant protecting her. But when she asked, I already felt like an idiot making a scene because I was jealous. I know that she's going to get attention everywhere she goes, but I don't like it.