42. "Let shit go and move the fuck on"

"Hey, Gael," I shouted as he walked in front of the bar

"Hey, Gael," I shouted as he walked in front of the bar. It was so weird being back at work, and no one mentioned a thing. It was almost as if nothing happened, and I get that this is a business, but damn. I wonder if Zane and Courtney sent anything to AJ's room and said something. Anything. "I'm just checking if you're okay. I spent all day Googling jokes, so?"

Gael stopped and palmed the marble bar top. "Give me your best one."

"Are you going to tell me if you're okay or not?" I dragged, biting my lips to hold in my smile. I noticed that his hair was different, shaved on the sides and cut lower. And he still had my bracelet on like it was some kind of good luck charm. There's no luck at The Playroom. 

He looked over his shoulders and hummed. "Tell me the corny ass joke first, and we'll see."

I tapped my fingers against the bar and thought to myself for a second. "Okay, I got it," I laughed and looked into Gael's eyes, which seemed so bright under the strobe light. "What goes in hard and dry and comes out wet and soft?"

I watched his face turn, thrown off by my joke. It wasn't sexual, but most people take it that way before thinking. "My dick?" He said as we both hysterically laughed. I could feel my chest heaving, preventing me from telling the answer.

When I calmed down, I waved my hand. "It's gum, you perv."

"My answer was funnier," He still laughed through his nose. "And yes, I'm okay, Cassie."

I kept my eyes on him for a moment and smiled. "Okay, Gael. Carry on," I shooed him away to take a few drink orders.

The club was busy for our first day back in a week, but it felt odd. But I wanted to try and make the best out of a crappy situation, hoping it doesn't happen again. Everyone was working, and they had more security, Ronnie and Vince—the guys from the cruise. I'm sure of it. Gael told me to trust him and let it go and not ask questions, but that's sketchy as fuck. I did it, though. I'm learning to let shit the fuck go and move on.

"Boo," Lily yelled, scaring me from behind. "Did you really get scared?" She laughed as I turned around to face her.

I playfully rolled my eyes. "I jumped, didn't I?"

"Well, I need Vermouth. Do you have any before I have to go alllllll the way to the back?" Lily batted her eyelashes. "Please, please have some. I'm praying to the bar Gods."

After reaching behind me, I grabbed the bottle and handed it to her. "Now, what do you say?" I joked.

Before she could speak, her eyes turned in the opposite direction as she said, "Oh, hi Brooklyn." She didn't have a welcoming look on her face, and I assumed it was from a customer pissing her off or something.

Brooke gave Lily a dirty look. "Hi." Ignoring the weird tension, I picked up a rag and started wiping the counter.

Lily blew me a kiss. "That's my queue. Thanks, Cass."