81. "Holiday spirit"

"Are you awake?" I whispered, hoping not to wake Gael if he did fall asleep

"Are you awake?" I whispered, hoping not to wake Gael if he did fall asleep. Knowing that Zane wanted to kill me, I didn't feel comfortable staying alone, and Gael wouldn't leave otherwise. We haven't talked much, and yes, we're going through something unfortunate, but I appreciate him being here. I've been on edge for the last two days, trying to keep my sanity. And I've barely been able to sleep throughout the night. It was almost six in the morning, and I decided to get some air, sitting in the community lounge.

Gael slowly sat up and groaned. "Uh, yeah. Can't sleep."

"Me neither," I said, uncomfortably twisting out my sore ribs. "I'm going to get some air." I didn't even bother getting changed, wearing a white sleeveless crop top, baggy black sweatpants, and my hair barely in a bun. It's been two days since the incident, and I still haven't looked at myself in the mirror. I know my injuries could've been worse, but all that matters is that my baby is okay. But the fact that he put me at risk doesn't sit right with me. It made me angry, so angry that I had all this rage inside of me, boiling my blood. I didn't even want to stay in my own place alone. I can't live like this.

Gael cleared his throat, looking up at me from the couch. I felt bad that he was still here, and it's Christmas morning. I know he has so much to do with his family today, but he's been trying to make it better.

"Are you going to be okay?" He yawned. "Do you need anything?"

"I'm just going outside for a little bit. I'll be fine," I mumbled, rubbing my hand down my arm. "You should go home."

"I don't mind staying, Cass," his voice strained as he stood up. I kept my distance, still feeling low. After I got back from the hospital, I overheard Gael and Noah talking about going after Zane. They had planned to sneak up on him while he's alone at the club because it's closed tomorrow. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with that information, but I wanted him to pay for what he did to me. I'm not going to keep letting grown-ass men put their hands on me, assuming I won't do shit about it.

I knew Brooklyn and I would spend Christmas together, so he didn't have to stay. "But I mind. Go home and have fun with your family today." I got him a gift, a Sony A7R ll camera, overhearing that he's been trying to add to his camera collection. But I didn't want to give it to him yet, knowing the moment could get mushy. I rather put it at his door or wait until he's not home.

"Okay, I guess," he started walking toward me but changed his mind and made his way to the door. "Merry Christmas, Cassie."

"Merry Christmas," I repeated, watching him leave, closing the door behind him.

I stood in place for a second, wishing things were different. I didn't want to do this anymore, and I didn't want to be scared any longer. My life flashed before my eyes two days ago, making me think about everything that has happened.

After I finished chugging a bottle of water, I stepped outside my apartment, heading for the community area, when I heard the elevator ding.

"Brooke," I whisper-yelled, noticing her first. "What are you doing up so early?" She's never up at this time, but maybe she also couldn't sleep? She still had on striped plaid pajamas and her hair straightened.