52. "The litte things"

It was late afternoon when I found myself knocking on Apartment 311 after Brooklyn called me and said it was an emergency

It was late afternoon when I found myself knocking on Apartment 311 after Brooklyn called me and said it was an emergency. I was half-sleep, still feeling the pounding headache ripping through my skull. I had taken three pain relievers that masked the pain for an hour but came right back.

A second later, she swung the door back and welcomed me inside of her apartment. When she closed the door, she said, "You look like hell!" She rolled her neck, pushing her highlighted blonde dirty blonde hair into a ponytail. "Did I wake you?"

I laid my head against the wall and crossed my arms. "I was just resting my eyes." I lightly chuckled. "Is everything okay? You said an emergency?"

"Yes," She jumped up and ran into the kitchen. Brooke grabbed an orange box of decorative cookies and flashed it in my face. "Well, not exactly. These directions don't make sense, and I don't want to burn them. Like, it says keep them in for ten minutes, but they're so damn little." I couldn't stop laughing because she really didn't know how to cook anything.

I cleared my throat and blankly looked into her glistening hazel eyes. "Brooke, they won't burn. I promise." I said, ending with a laugh.

"But will they be hard?" She asked me.

I shook my head and walked into the kitchen as she started lining her cookie tray. "This is your emergency, Brooke? I hate you." I joked, pushing my back against her countertop. I loved how bright and white her apartment was, like it instantly changed your mood. My place sometimes gets dark and gloomy, even with the lights on.

"Part of it," Brooklyn placed the tray in the oven and looked at me with curiosity in her eyes. "It's about Venus."

"Is she okay?" I quickly asked. Now, I don't know Venus well, and I never talked to her as much as Brooke, but she was nice at the mall. Well, she didn't get to finish her sentence, but I didn't think anything of it.

Like there were people around, she lowered her voice. "You ever just had a bad feeling? Like something isn't right?" I slowly nodded, waiting for her to get to the point. "I hung out with her yesterday, and she was being weird."

"Weird how?"

Brooklyn trailed off into space before saying, "She was talking about The Playroom, and Zane, and how I should leave and watch my back. I had my doubts because everyone knows Zane is a dick, but this was different. I feel like she's trying to warn me about something, but can't, you know?"

With my eyes widened, I gave her my full attention. "Do you think something is going on at the club? I mean, I know it's shitty and horrible management, but I wonder what she would warn you about?" I dropped my arms to my side as my mind wandered with possibilities. Everyone there is so secretive and never has answers. And I'm sure Ronnie and Vince play a part in everything that happens because I know they were there—on the cruise. Honestly, I just want to make money and stay out of the way.