49. "Boyfriends"

Cassie is italics | Noah, Rachel, and Lily are bold

"Hey, little lady," I massaged the nape of her neck and smiled. "How was daycare?" I led her to my car, playfully yanking the rim of her rust-colored turtleneck.

 "How was daycare?" I led her to my car, playfully yanking the rim of her rust-colored turtleneck

Emmy ran to the door. "You mean little woman?" She corrected, doing some kind of dance she learned. "And it was good. I didn't hit anyone if that's what you're wondering."

I laughed, getting in the driver's seat. "I wasn't wondering at all," I checked to see if she strapped herself in, and she did. "So, seven-year-old, what do you want to do today? The ball is in your court!"

Emmy seemed surprised to have such a big decision when there's so much you could do—especially being a kid, wanting to do everything and anything. She had so much energy today, and it could've been the breezy weather because it's been so damn hot lately. I also had on a black turtleneck, not planned, with jeans, booties, and my hair wavy from the braids I had in overnight.

She kept throwing out ideas, and each one made her eyes wider. "Oh! I want to see my daddy. He wants to meet you too! Can we go, please?"

I had my doubts. "I don't know, babe. He's not expecting us, or me and I don't want to just barge in without telling him or anything. You know?" I glanced back, watching her flip through her school book.

She begged. "He wouldn't care! He loves company and bring donuts. We like those."

While Emereigh boasted about her dad, I grabbed my phone to text Noah:

Hey, I have Emmy, and she wants to see her dad. Is that okay? With you?

Why wouldn't it be?

Just asking and hoping you'd send me the address?

Center for Drug Abuse on Mountain Valley. He's in room 402. I'll tell them you're coming.

I put my car in reverse and backed out of the parking spot. "Let's go get some donuts, huh?"

~~