69. "How it began"

Catalina Island

Catalina Island. A beautiful island getaway, twenty-two miles off the Southern California Coast. One, who hasn't been in LA long, would never know this place existed until now. I easily forgot where I was as my mind took me to the Caribbean or Mediterranean island.

Since a helicopter was out of the picture, we had to board the ferry to reach the island, which was a nice touch. I loved being on the cruise because it was so relaxing, but this vessel was much smaller with fewer people. Because the ride was only an hour away, they passed out light drinks and snacks, like a luxurious beach party. Or at least that's what it felt like to me.

I zoned out, sipping a chilled glass of champagne while staring at the calm, vast, bright blue water. Being so far away from the shore seemed endless, never having a destination, just the ocean. The mist sprayed in my face, warming the skin that I should've put sunscreen on. To my luck, it was perfect weather, not too cold and not too hot. Just a slight breeze crept on my face, blowing my wavy hair along with it.

Gael placing his hand on my waist was enough to break me from trailing off, returning to their conversation. He sent me the sweetest, reassuring smile that made my heart flutter as I sipped my beverage. I remained quiet, letting my eyes roam around his attire, opened button-up shirt that exposed his chest, fitting shorts, and silver accessories. His curls were blowing with the wind, along with my flowy white dress that cut out at the back.

I slipped my free hand down his bicep and smiled. "Guys, I'm so happy, another trip with my favorite people," Brooklyn said, bouncing in her seat and taking a sip of her drink. We were all equally stunned and excited to be here, and it was all because of Gael. He and his mom planned this entire thing for Noah for his birthday, and it was needed. It hasn't been an easy two weeks after what happened to AJ, and I've been trying to be there and listen more now than ever.

I leaned against the metal rail, taking another sip. "The new norm, and I'm not complaining." We were standing and sitting in the corner of the front deck, away from the loud crowd. Everyone was thrilled, counting down until we finally arrive.

"No need to complain," My boyfriend opened his arms and took a long look around. "This is paradise for the weekend." Then he turned around, leaning over the rail.

"I can't believe I've been in California all these years and have never come out here," Noah said, looking at the shore. He was the smart one to wear a hat, controlling his curly hair, but it still smacked him in the face. He had on loose grey shorts and a white muscle tank. And Brooke wore distressed jean shorts, a white baby tee, and low converses.

"I've never been either, and it was my mom's idea. Also, her idea to help take care of everything. So, you have the best suite." Gael replied, turning around to send a playful wink to his best friend. Everything felt euphoric because we all happened to have met on a boat, and here we are, close as ever, and I'm dating a guy I never thought I would be. This is us, our story, how it began.