86. "Got damn mood swings"

It was almost five in the morning when Gael and I finally got into bed after calming me down

It was almost five in the morning when Gael and I finally got into bed after calming me down. For hours it seemed, it felt like I was trapped inside of my head, and I couldn't find a way out. I desperately needed a distraction to stop myself from replaying everything that went down tonight. I never held a gun, and I would never intentionally hurt someone, but when you're put in that situation, who knows what you'll do. That's what scared me because I wasn't myself.

Trying to break away, I texted Brooklyn as I soaked in a bath. I wasn't going to tell her what happened over the phone, but I did tell her that Gael knew about the baby. It took a weight off my shoulders, and he's been so helpful since. When we got back to his apartment, he offered to make me food, get anything that I needed and ran this bath.

When Gael finally got a chance to shower, he got in bed and said, "A baby, huh?" With my back turned, he pushed up behind me, wrapping his arms around my stomach as he rubbed it. He spooned me, gently putting his chin in my neck. "My baby."

I couldn't help but smile, sinking my head into the pillow. Nothing beats that feeling when the worry goes away, and he's equally as happy as I am. I want what's best for my baby and me, and that's him.

"See about that," I muttered, adding humor to make myself feel better. "It's the neighbors baby. You know, the one that walks his cat on a lease every day?"

He stopped rubbing my stomach and removed his chin from my neck. "Oh, is that what you like?"

"Yup," I popped my lips. "It's so sexy."

It was so early, almost an hour and a half until the sun came up, and we weren't sleeping. I would assume after today's events, we'd be drained, but that's not the case. Gael had a scratched-up face but said he was fine and didn't regret kicking Zane's ass.

"Don't play with me," he said before getting quiet for a minute. "Wait, my mom knew? Before me?"

"We went to lunch, and she just knew, I guess. I couldn't lie to her, but she's so happy about it," I admitted, taking in a low breath as Gael continued to hold me. And nothing felt better than this—being in his bed, skin on skin contact, feeling safe again.

Gael kept asking questions wanting to know how I felt and how far along I am. I told him that I'm about nine weeks and the baby has a strong heartbeat. He let me know that he would be there for all of my appointments, so I'm never alone again.

He muttered, "I know she is. Are you?"

I breathed in, closing all the space between us. "At first, I was freaking out because I didn't expect it, not yet. But yeah. The timing is off, but I love him already, and I just want to be a good mom," I confessed with a small smile.

"You will be, and I know that by the way you are now," he said, placing a soft kiss behind my ear. He shouldn't have done that. "And he? How you figure that?"