41. "RIP plans"

"Why isn't my house cleaned, and why isn't their beer in the refrigerator, Cassandra," Craig said the moment I stepped foot downstairs to get ready to leave for class

"Why isn't my house cleaned, and why isn't their beer in the refrigerator, Cassandra," Craig said the moment I stepped foot downstairs to get ready to leave for class. I'm running late because my relief at work never showed and I had to stay after hours. I hated when they did that to me because they know I'm in college and I need to keep up with my grades to get the fuck out of here, but I'm exhausted. Every day, I go to class in the morning and head straight for work when Craig sits here and doesn't do shit.

The house was a mess. And I'm tired of cleaning after messes that I didn't make. "I have to go," I muttered, trying to walk past him, but he stopped me.

Craig stared at my face, finished his cheap beer, and threw the glass on the ground. I watched it shatter, standing tall and unbothered as he stepped over the cracked bottle with his boots.

"You're not going anywhere until what I asked gets done." He ran his fingers down my cheek, but I kept still, anger flushing through my system. I hated that he had so much control over us, and I didn't have an answer for how to fix it. "Unless you just like watching your Mom get beat on? If you don't obey me, who knows what will happen to her, eh?"

I rotated my jaw and jerked my head from his reach. "I'll do it when I get back from class, Craig. I'm going to be late again." I gave in, telling him what he wanted to hear so that I could head to school. I've been late too many times already, and I'm worried it would affect my grades and scholarship. I couldn't afford to lose it because what the hell else would I do?

"Does it look like I give a fuck if you fail or not?" He raised his voice and laughed continuously in my face, making me feel even smaller than I was.

"Well, I do," I said under my breath. "Please, Craig. I don't do anything but go to school and work. I need this."

"Is that right?" Craig said, scratching his bushy eyebrow before cocking his hand to punch me. When his fist connected to my face, I gasped, feeling the pain stipple through my flesh. The taste of copper filled my mouth as I held my cheek in shock. "Try going to school now, ungrateful bitch."

I tried gaining my balance, but he pushed me back and stood over top of me. I couldn't speak right away, so I cried and tried keeping my eyes open. What did I ever do to deserve this life? I prayed and prayed, and no one listened.

"Why are you doing this?" I tried catching my breath and screamed. "I hope you burn in hell." At that point, I didn't care what the hell happened to me.

Craig gathered his fingers in my hair as my neck uncomfortably stretched. It felt hard to swallow. I reached my hands about my head and tried peeling his fingers back, but he kept tugging, complaining about how I don't listen and follow the rules.

"Leave me alone!" I repeatedly screamed but heard my name the second he reached to hit me.

"Cassie!"