57. "Only you"

Cassie is italics | Gael is bold

"If you keep this bracelet on, then I'll always be with you. Anywhere and everywhere you go. I will never let anything hurt you, I promise."

It's been hours, and I couldn't find myself to move from this very spot. I was at Gael's boat, rotating the roped diamond piece of jewelry between my fingers. My initials were engraved on the inside as I debated what to do with it. I didn't want to keep it, and I certainly didn't care that he got it made it France. Hell, I didn't even know that my birth mother was French or anything about my ancestry. But that's not anyone's problem but mine because I could figure that out.

I wasn't in the mood to talk and came straight here after I left The Playroom. I had all intention of clearing my mind, but I know that's impossible. All I do is overthink and question everything, but the more I thought about it, the more it hurt. After a night of tossing and turning, I came back to the boat, staring at the calm ocean water. I knew that I would be alone in this particular spot, but I wasn't sure I wanted to be.

I ignored Gael and Brooklyn's text messages for almost two days, not wanting to get them involved. Zane made it clear for me not to tell anyone, but I trust them. Gael is the only person that could make me feel better, and I desperately wanted to see him, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary to tell him.

I wasn't mad about being related to Zane because I don't give a shit about him. Never will. I have a hunch that he's now this horrible man, and so many people are scared of him. It's the fact that he did nothing to help when I needed it the most. I remember telling the woman at foster care that I had an uncle, but he never answered. Now that I remember.

My entire life, I've been fighting for someone to love me, someone to care, but it gets harder to believe every day. I've seen people in love or absorbed by the love of someone, and I want it so badly. And my uncle knows how much promises mean to me, and he broke it.

I wiped my swollen eyes, hearing my phone chime. It was Gael again:

Just tell me you're okay.

I stared at my phone screen, watching tears drip onto the glass. I wasn't sure what to say, but I knew that I needed him and only him. I'll decide what I want to do when he gets here.

Can you come to your boat?

Once I replied, I set my phone down and took a deep breath. I ran my hands down my face, trying to hide that I was crying. But I knew that Gael could see right through me. And he wouldn't let it slide if I said nothing was wrong.

Less than ten minutes later, I heard branches crack, knowing it was Gael. I quickly glanced at him as he walked through the arched trees, wearing a white printed shirt, black shorts, and tennis shoes. Once his eyes connected to mine from afar, I looked away, focusing my sight back on the icy blue shore.