84. "Men in black"

"Gael," Cassie opened the door after I knocked a few times

"Gael," Cassie opened the door after I knocked a few times. She had a confused look on her face. "You scared me." She pushed her robe closed before pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"I didn't mean to, Cass," I muttered, adjusting the bookbag on my shoulders. I looked at her for a few seconds, the rage from Zane hitting her came back at full force. I don't know how tonight is going to go down, but I'm not backing down. Someone needed to go against Zane, especially since he almost put my kid at risk. And the woman carrying my kid. I don't take that shit lightly.

She choked, probably noticing that I spaced out. "Do you want to come in?" She nervously muttered, pushing her door open.

I adjusted the bag on my shoulder and shook my head. "I just wanted to check on you. I'm going to be gone all night. With Noah," I added that last bit so that she wouldn't think I was with another girl. I did ask Marvin to keep an eye on her because I wouldn't be home, but he assured me that he would have security circling the third floor. It made me feel more at ease, knowing I had business to take care of. 

"Oh," she pouted, meeting my gaze. "I'm okay. Are you?" It's like she could sense I was all over the fucking place. What she didn't know won't hurt her, but I'm doing this for her safety and to clear my fucking name.

"I'm fine," I shrugged, looking down at her without any expression. "I just wanted to see you, Cassie."

She kept silent for a few seconds, staring at me. "Well, I'm here. Are you going to be here later?"

"Why?" I asked with a smirk on my face.

Catching me off guard, Cassie stood in her tip-toes, pushing her right hand into my chest and her other one behind my head. Then she slowly pushed closer, gently placing her lips on mine. I stood tall, letting her kiss me as I enjoyed the feel of her again, grinning. I wrapped both my arms around her waist as her chest pressed against mine. She melted in my arms, exhaling as her lips slowly dragged against mine.

I was happy as fuck. I didn't want to take control over the kiss, letting her pick the pace. The second she sped up, easing her tongue into my mouth, we backed against the wall as I palmed it with my hand. The kiss was eager but also my hint in case anything went wrong. I knew we'd be fine, but you can never be sure.

When Cassie pulled away, she heavily breathed, sucking in her bottom lip. With my hand still on the wall in the hallway, I stared at her face, stroking my thumb against her cheek.

"Does that answer your question?" she muttered, wiping my lips off afterward.

I kissed her forehead. "I'll be back for you, Cass."

"I want you to promise me?" She said, making my eyebrows narrow. It was like she knew I was about to do some stupid shit. "And don't fucking break it." 

Maybe it's because she knows me and she knows when something isn't right. Or maybe it's a pregnancy symptom. I don't fucking know, but it was weird. Anyway, I didn't question it.