40. "Consent"

Cassie is italics | Gael is bold

"See you tomorrow, handsome," Daisy, a personal trainer at my gym, said as I removed the sweat rag from around my neck.

I nodded and pushed through the glassdoor to head back to my bike. It's been a long three days, and since the club was closed, I didn't have shit to do. I've been rotating my days between the gym and the hospital. But yesterday, I drove to San Diego to snap pointless pictures at Balboa Park. I've been trying to keep busy and clear my mind, but the shit was hard.

The bullet punctured his aorta and was close to his heart, resulting in him losing a lot of blood. The doctors had no choice but to put him in an induced coma and perform emergency surgery. Now, it's just up to him to wake up.

Even though I shouldn't keep blaming myself, I did. AJ shouldn't have been there, and that stupid ass fight shouldn't have happened. I wanted to avoid going to my Mom's house because I knew she would question me, and I wasn't in the mood. My face was swollen, a little bruised, but nothing I haven't dealt with before. I thought the asshole broke my nose, but it was just fractured.

Straight from the gym, I drove directly to the hospital. This is the reason that I need a plan to get away from that fucking club, and it's bad enough that I have to worry about Cassie. Luckily, she wasn't there that night, but if I don't figure a way out, whatever happens, will be my fault.

By the time I parked and walked up to AJ's room, I hesitated, watching Terrence's looking over his unconscious nephew. He was hooked up to multiple machines and barely looked like himself. There were flowers and 'get well' balloons on the window seal and cards.

Before I could walk in, Kenya came out and stopped me. She clutched her jacket closed and crossed her arms with a sad look in her eyes. I could tell she had been crying because the streaks dried on her face, and her eyes were hanging low.

Kenya's eyes dilated before I pulled her into a hug, feeling her body go limp in my arms. "I tried getting Terrence to talk or come home, but he won't. I feel so bad, Gael, and I don't know what to do." She whined.

I rested in the hug and let her have her moment. Not once did Terrence look up and say anything. I've never seen him like that.

"I fucked up, Kenya," I heavily breathed out. "I should've made him leave when I saw him."

Kenya sniffed and pulled away from the hug to look at me. "It's not your fault, G. Stop talking like that."

I wiped my hands down my face and looked away for a second. "Terrence told me to make sure he doesn't fucking step foot in the club. I let it slide all for some girl he wanted. I should've stopped him when he started fighting the guy that hit him. I could've stopped it, but I didn't."

"And did you shoot him?" Her sassiness came out. "No, and you didn't know. I would hope my friends would let me slide in a situation like that. Stop beating yourself up about it. AJ is a strong boy, and I promise you that he'll pull through."