79. "The messenger"

It's Christmas, the best time of the year

Tis' the season to be loved and in love.
Or maybe that's what they want you to think?
But I'm al...

"Ugh," I groaned, removing my headphones from my ear and balled up my paper. "This is useless. I suck."

I sighed, sitting up from my lying position and glanced around my room. I love Christmas—the bright, beautiful lights and catchy songs that will be stuck in your head for months. The pretty decorations people have all over their lawn and the happy kids, hoping and expecting that they're getting everything they wished for.

Me?

I wished for snow. I wished that I had a family that got together for the holidays, drinking hot chocolate and laughing at silly childhood memories. I wished I had someone to kiss under the mistletoe, like in the movies I've seen over one-hundred times. I didn't care for gifts because they're so temporary, but don't get me wrong; some have meaning.

"Cassie?" I rolled my neck, pausing in place. "Can you come here?"

I jumped off the bed, eyes wide, confused. "Wait? You're home?" I asked, not expecting anyone to be here but me. I'm used to not having what most kids or families have. My mom works two jobs and doesn't get to have the holidays off, but she's here.

Like a child, I swung the door open and skipped down the steps. Before I cut the corner, I shouted, "You're not at work?"

"They gave me off," she said as I made my way to the living room. "So that I can be with you this time."

When I made my appearance, I glimpsed around the room looking for Craig, and he wasn't home. Then my eyes darted toward my mom, who dressed in an awful Christmas sweater with her hair in a low bun.

"What's this?" I asked, seeing a wrapped box on the table.

My mom walked beside me, massaging my shoulders before pushing my hair back. "When I was little, I loved Christmas. And I know this is not how you expected things to be when you got adopted, but things are really tight right now. I know this isn't much, but I want to make that effort because I know you've been through so much, and you're only sixteen. I can't take back what happened, but let this be a start."

"Mom, effort is you being here with me right now," I smiled, pulling her into a quick hug. We haven't had the best relationship because of her husband and how much she works, but this means a lot to me. "Where's Craig? He told me I'm not allowed down here until I apologize, and I'm not because I didn't do anything wrong."

She shook her head and cupped my face. "Don't worry about that now. Craig doesn't have to know." Usually, she would side with Craig to remain on his good side, but today was different. And I knew that would all change by tomorrow morning. So, I'm living in the now.