80. "Insomnia"

Unknown number/ Cassie is italics  - Gael is bold 

~

"Yo, man, you good?" Connor asked as I made my way to the door.

I turned around and nodded my head. "I'm good, bro," I replied. I had a minor headache and was not in the mood to party, but I had nothing else to do.

Connor, a guy we played in the alumni football game, invited Noah and me to his kickback to have a few drinks and chill. We don't talk regularly, but he was cool when we played a few months ago. The gathering was nice; a few of the guys bullshitting over drinks and watching the game—Packers, and Chiefs. But after a few hours, I got restless even though I didn't drink tonight.

"I'm going to step outside," I lifted my hand to dap Conner up because I knew I wasn't coming back in. "If you see Noah, tell him I'm on the porch. I'll see you around, bro."

He nodded, tapping my back as we brought it in. I glimpsed around the room, looking for Noah, but didn't see or hear him right away. He's my ride here, but I know he also decided not to drink.

When I closed the door, I stretched before taking a seat on the step of the porch. I wiped my hands down my face, listening to the loud music from inside the house.

I reached in my pocket for my phone, realizing it was a little past twelve. I had every intention of leaving earlier, but time flew. Well, I got sucked into the game.

I checked my social media accounts, seeing Cassie posted to her story. We weren't talking, but at least I knew she was okay, and apparently with Brooke. I figured they would be with each other, which made me feel more at ease. But damn, I missed her, and I'm so fucking lost because I never experienced this before. Should I give her space or annoy her to death until she forgives me. Women are so difficult to understand sometimes.

Then my phone chimed:

Gael, you're a great man. Thank you for reaching out to me and planning this. I owe you one :)

You don't owe me anything. It's the least I can do. So, we're all set for Wednesday, Christmas morning?

Of course. That must've been expensive. Are you sure I can pay you back.

Don't worry about it.

Bless you. 

Minutes later, I heard the door behind me, taking my eyes off the phone to see Noah.

He had a look on his face, and I knew it was time to go. "You ready?" I asked. Noah just nodded, patting his pockets to locate his keys.

Without many words, I jogged down the steps, walking a short distance to his Hummer. Once I heard the door unlock, I climbed into the passenger seat, releasing a long breath of air.