Gally [15]

some gallllllyyy for the new yearrrrr ^-^

 "Gally, get your klunk together, man." Alby prodded, staring at his keeper of the builders with crossed arms and an expression of frustration.

The builder, exhausted and defeated, snapped his head up and met eyes with Alby. Knowing what it was his leader was bothering him about just made him sigh and look back down. For the past couple of hours, they'd been having a meeting here in the council hall but Gally was far from present and helpful.

All he was able to do was stare at the ground and fight to stop his heart from escaping out of his throat. Y/N had, of all places, sat right across from him. In plain sight. Immediately, he knew that he wouldn't be able to stop himself from making eye contact with her every few seconds. Even if he didn't mean to, it would happen. That's what always happened when he was around her. So, in hopes of being less awkward and embarrassing himself, he chose to stare at the ground.

Maybe, he was now beginning to realize, that wasn't the best way to go about things. But, it was better than catching her gaze a thousand times more than anyone else's in the room.

Mentally smacking himself in the face, Gally got up and began to walk toward the kitchen just as Frypan hollered out and rang the dinner bell. He was starving, as always, but today even more so. However, he knew he'd be going even more hungry tonight the moment he saw Y/N racing Minho to the kitchens.

Something in his brain snapped. He turned around and head back in the direction he came from.

Not knowing how else to occupy his time and keep his mind off of things, Gally head over to where the builders usually worked and sat down against a pile of lumber. He took out a small whittling knife like he oftentimes did and pulled out a nearly finished project from his pocket.

He'd been working on this for longer than he could remember. Part of it was because Gally was usually far too busy to work on something so meaningless, but it was also because it was so detailed and delicate.

A fern leaf whittled out of the darkest piece of wood he could obtain in the Glade. He was so close to being done, a part of himself was upset he'd have to find something new to work on. Regardless, he got to work and let the rest of the world around him melt away and blur alongside his thoughts.

Usually, people knew to leave Gally alone. He wasn't one to be bothered and most of the Gladers were too afraid to enter his space when he looked focused and content to be isolated.

Y/N, however, felt differently than the rest. "Is anyone going to go tell him dinner is almost over?"

Newt raised his brows. "No, when Gally's hiding like that, he'd best be left alone."

"How do we know he actually wants to be alone?" Y/N asked. "Maybe he's just...got something going on."

"And maybe he's just a grouch." Winston shrugged.

Y/N had a hard time believing that was true and got up, walked away and took her food with her. She set off to get a bowl of food for Gally and then head straight for him.

Without even having to look up, Gally knew someone was approaching. He also knew who it was. Unsure and paralyzed, Gally kept working away and pretended he didn't notice.

Y/N sat down against the lumber beside him. "I brought you dinner. Thought you might be hungry."

His heart was beating faster. "Yeah, thanks. I was." He took the food and put it down at his side. He wasn't about to eat it while she was here. For all he could imagine, he'd end up choking on his first bite and make himself look like an absolute fool in front of her.

"Wasn't sure if you wanted company or not, but it seems like you're busy." She tried to catch Gally's eyes as she smiled. He didn't look up to meet her. "You're really talented, Gally. See you later."

All Gally wanted was to ask her to stay. He wanted her company more than anything else. To be able to sit here, work and talk to her at the same time would make his entire life so much better. She was the nicest person here and actually made an effort to spend time with him, unalike anyone else. Yet, he couldn't even look at her. He probably seemed like an absolute jerk to her.

Instead of being able to just speak up like anyone else, he sat and watched as she walked away instead. Gally had never been great with his words but this was entirely new.

He spent the rest of his evening finishing off the fern leaf. Now, more than ever, he was convinced and determined to finish it and give it to Y/N. Maybe, if he couldn't say anything, at least he could show he cared through his actions.

As nightfall came and everyone was settling in for bed, Gally cautiously wandered around, hoping he might just cross paths with Y/N on accident. Clutched in his hand was the finished fern leaf, now probably completely doused in sweat from his palms. Unfortunately for Gally, he missed Y/N by a long shot. She and Newt were already on their way to their hammocks, obviously talking about something important despite being tired. Defeated, Gally gave up on his plans and head off for bed himself.

To no surprise, he wasn't able to sleep. The world kept him awake and he could only imagine it was to egg him on to do something stupid. In this case, that was to go give Y/N the carving while she slept. That way, he wouldn't have to face her.

Sure enough, it seemed like a decent idea. So, Gally clambered out of his hammock and stumbled his way though the dark until he found Y/N. There she was, sleeping contently with her hand slung out of the hammock perfectly. Carefully, Gally slid the leaf into her hand and then ducked around the nearest tree and ran for his hammock.

Morning came far sooner than he'd expected. After his midnight excursion, he must've felt well enough with himself that he was able to sleep the rest of the night away. For a moment, he felt at peace. That was until he realized today would be coming along with its own wild set of nightmares seeing as how once Y/N found the leaf, she'd probably come straight for him.

Because of that, Gally skipped breakfast. There was no way he was risking coming across Y/N and having to explain himself. So, with no food in his ravenous stomach and a foggy mind, he got to work with his normal daily tasks and tried to forget about it. Maybe, he hoped, she dropped it in the night and never noticed it. Or, she forgot he was the one who made it, no matter how unlikely.

"Gally," His own name bit him with icy teeth. "You've told me before how you are always hungry. So, you should probably stop skipping meals."

As he turned around with an awkward smile, Y/N looked to him sadly, a bowl of Frypan's porridge held out to him. Gally gladly took it from the girl, nodding to her thankfully. For some reason, this morning he was a little less on edge around her.

Y/N sat down alongside him. "Thanks for the leaf." She thanked. "You really are good at what you do."

"Mmm—" He pursed his lips and darted his eyes around. "Welcome."

"You know you didn't have to give it to me while I slept though, right?" She laughed a little.

He shrugged shyly. "It was late, I didn't want to wake you up. But, I also wanted to give it to you before I lost it or something."

Gally watched as Y/N made circles in the dirt with her foot. "I—"

She looked up, expecting him to finish his thought but he never did. "You...?"

The boy scrunched his face like he was the worst stomach cramp known to mankind. His expression said he was smelling the most godforsaken scent. "I think I like you. And I don't know what to do."