Newt [3]

Y/N was somewhere in the glade and Newt knew it. The doors had already been closed for a three hours and she'd only been missing for about an hour. But that didn't stop his heart from racing. "Minho, I need you help."

Newt stumbled his way to the stocky runner who loomed over a pile of maps. Minho looked up to see Newt, broken and hyperventilating, eyes glassy and clouded with fright.

"What's up with you shuckface?" Minho asked.

He furrowed his brows and slowly stood up tall. Deep in his gut, the runner felt sick. He hadn't seen Newt as frantic as this in two years. Last time, things ended up in Newt nearly losing his life. "Newt, talk to me!"

Minho grabbed the second-in-command and caught his gaze. "Y-Y/N she's gone and I can't find her. S-She - and hour or so ago she just disappeared. A-And I can't find her anywhere - and she didn't talk to me all day-" Newt's words fell out in an unbroken stream, the storm in his mind refusing to give way.

"Newt! Calm down! We'll find her!" Minho shook his friends shoulders and tried to knock him from the daze he was trapped in. He guided Newt out of the map room and into the light of the glade.

"I'll run the perimeter and get Thomas looking too. You go to the homestead and check to see if she's there." Minho commanded.

"She never goes in the homestead!" Newt cried back.

"Just look!" The runner forced and Newt didn't even have time to question it before Minho took off across the glade. Hopelessly, Newt ambled towards the wooden building. Inside, he checked the kitchen, bathroom and closets. No sign of her. Hesitantly, he made his way up the stairs that groaned displeasingly with every one of his steps. He peered into every room, yet again with no sign. But, at the very end of the hall one of the doors was shut and no light seeped from under the door.

Slowly, he made his way down the hall and was finally met with his bedroom door. He gently knocked on the old, chipped wood.

"Y/N...?" He muttered and no response came. He couldn't recall having pulled the blinds over his window in the morning and it was enough of a sign for him push open the door. The room was cool and bleak, the very air sour, burning his lungs as it entered. All of the other rooms had been full of the golden light of the dying sun but his was like the dark side of the moon. Cautiously, he made his way into the centre of the room and quieted his breathing. Sure enough, within an instant Newt cold hear faint stifled breaths from the back corner of the room.

"Y/N?" He questioned, staring into the dark abyss.

"N-Newt?" Her faded voice guided him closer to her. When he could almost feel the heat radiating off of her body, he slumped down onto the floor before her.

"What's wrong, love?" Newt furrowed his brows and gently reached out into the darkness with his hands, luckily landing on hers which pulled her legs close into her chest.

"I don't know..." Her voice caught and it struck Newt's chest with a painful similarity. He'd heard the exact same words from himself just a couple of years ago. Beneath his hands, Newt could feel her body shaking, every muscle in her body atrophied. He cold feel the silence in her blood. She was sinking fast.

"Shh- it's alright." Newt shuffled beside the girl and sat up against the wall. He sympathetically pulled the girl into his lap and ran a hand over her hair, pulling her head close to his chest. Her body was curled in so tightly that she seemed no bigger than a child simply trying to shield herself from the world.

"It'll pass..." Newt whispered as he hugged the girl tighter with every breath.

"Can you promise?" She whimpered, digging her nose into the crook of his arm.

"As long as you let me help you, yes." With all of his endeavours, Newt knew the importance of human connection. He knew all a person needed was a simple smile from a friend time to time just to keep them sane. If Alby was able to keep Newt's head above the waves of doubt, he knew he could do the same for Y/N too.

"Ok." She muttered in a half-hearted response. Newt knew he entire conscience was clouded, not letting her think straight. Anything he said would either stick with her or diffuse through her mind.

"Do you trust me?" He asked, holding her even tighter. Y/N nodded between a sob that he could feel her stifle in her lungs.

With all of the strength he could muster, Newt lifted the frail girl off of the ground. Her body was lifeless and cold, the ache in her bones slowly diffusing into his own veins. He knew the pain all too well himself. Newt carried her across the room and set her down on his bed. The boy fell back onto the bed and pulled the girl down with him. He made sure her head rest on the pillow beside his and he stared into the darkness towards where he knew her face would be. Her body was still closed off so tightly, her knees were pressed against his chest as he tried to inch closer.

"If you're going down, I'm coming with you." His voice finally made it's way into the girls head and suddenly everything came into focus. The doubt that blinded her faded away and she focused on his breath, following the pace he set with her own.

"That's it, love." Newt whispered. He knew she was a follower, and he knew that anything he set out before her she would take up. Even how fast he breathed.

The boy could feel her body soften beneath his arms, her legs releasing, stretching out and tangling with his own. He took his chance to pull her even closer to himself. She didn't fight it. It wasn't long before Newt could tell she had fallen asleep. He knew just how tiring living a reverse nightmare was. How horrible it was to be afraid to sleep, but also be afraid to be awake. He ran his hand over her face gently, brushing the hair he couldn't even see in the dark away from her eyes. Not once had anyone in the glade shared his suffering. And how Y/N hid it for so long, he had no clue. But he saw her now for who she really was. An entire new picture painted before his eyes.

Light slowly crept into the room as the door was pushed open.

"Newt?" Minho squinted, trying to see into the dim room.

"Shhh-" Newt whispered. The runners eyes finally adjusted and his mouth fell agape when he found the pair on the bed.

"What the shuck are you doing?!" Minho hissed and quietly made his way across the creaking floor.

"She's the same." Were the only words Newt could muster and Minho's eyes went wide. He knew what Newt meant. Minho examined her frail body, her hair damp with tears. He'd never seen her look so vulnerable. The boy nodded.

"Dinner's ready. I'll tell Alby you guys are working on garden plans." Minho said sympathetically and crept out of the room as swiftly as possible.

Newt knew they wouldn't be leaving anytime soon.