Newt [13]

Just behind them, a griever shrieked, it's metal legs scratching against the stone.

"Holy SHIT, RUN!" Thomas yelped, all three of the kids arms were pumping uncontrollably, pushing their bodies forwards.

"This way! This sections closing!" Minho commanded out, turning a sharp corner. Just down the corridor, one of the sections was sliding closed, just as the doors do every evening in the glade. Y/N was smart. She was smart enough to know that the doors were too slow, and that even if they made it through, so would the griever.

"Go!" Y/N pushed Thomas in front of her and she pulled the machete from his pack as he rushed by. She took one quick look at the griever and found the mark she needed to hit for a fatal blow. Following closely behind the boys, they raced down the corridor. But, she skidded to a stop, the doors before here just a few feet from closing.

"Y/N! RUN!" Thomas let out a heart-wrenching plea. Y/N stood her ground, looking back with sorry eyes. Neither boy budged, they knew there wasn't enough time to make it back to the other side.

"Tell Newt I'll see him on the other side!" Were the last words she yelled down the corridor at her best friends. The last thing they saw was the machete being riffled at the monsters head, sending it toppling to the floor, writing in agony. It was a lethal shot and all Minho could hope was that she'd make it through the night. He knew she could. The rest of the night, the boys ran, hoping they'd evade any other grievers.

Though Thomas wanted to leave the maze, going back to the Glade to face Newt seemed far worse than any griever now. He could almost see the blonde crumpled on the ground, shaking like the earth when it's plates shifted.

Inevitably, the morning sun began to cast shadows in the maze and the pair of runners found their way back to the doors. They'd survived a night in the maze, but lost their closest confidant in the midst. They lost the girl who they promised they would protect.

If Thomas had thought losing sight of the girl last night was the worst thing he'd ever experienced, he was wrong. The vexation Newt was about to blow him to pieces with was far worse.

"YOU SON OF A BITCH!" The second-in-command screamed with every ounce of agony inside of him, not a single Glader trying to hold him back. Newt's entire energy was focused on Thomas, not Minho, because Thomas was the one he had made promise to keep the girl safe. Thomas' ears rung with white noise as Newt screamed in his face, throwing a punch which rattled his mind. Newt's chest was open wide and Thomas could see right through to his broken heart. The brunettes heart, on the other hand, had fallen into an abyss he was sure it'd never return from. Newt, he knew, would never be the same. He'd just lost a piece of himself.

[Time Skip To Scorch]

"Thomas? You bloody listening to a thing I'm saying?" Newt tapped Thomas' knee, trying to catch his attention.

"Y-Yeah..." Thomas rubbed his eyes and sighed, looking up to Newt. He hated looking his friend in the eyes. He could still see the misery Newt kept hidden inside. Newt tried to convince everyone that he didn't miss her, that he didn't care. But everyone could tell he still thought about her everyday.

"What you thinking about?" The blonde asked quietly.

"Y/N..." Thomas fought back the tears in his eyes, finding it hard to admit that he too still thought about Y/N at times like this. They were situated in the shade under an old, torn apart building in the scorch, hiding from the sun. Newt turned away at the mention of Y/N and everyone sat in silence, waiting out the oppressive sun.

They had been walking for at least an hour when the sun had finally begun to set. The scorch was afire with golden light and it made it look somewhat pleasant. Just a few hundred metres away a single, thin but tall tower rose out of the ground. Thomas assumed it was some sort of old power line with a makeshift lookout built on the top.

"HEY!" A voice screamed from in front of them, the words being carried on the wind. Up in the tower, a bright red scarf was being waved violently in the air by a small person. Newt pulled out his own red scarf and waved it back, all of the Gladers screaming against the wind. They continued forwards as the body climbed down from the tower. At least five minutes had passed of everyone treading through the deep sand, the wind making it difficult to stay on a straight path before they could get a clear image of the person approaching.

They were wrapped in cloth, face completely shrouded by the fabric which protected them. A red scarf tucked into their pants, blowing in the wind like a beacon of hope. The closer they got, the faster the person ran. Minho just prayed it wasn't a crazy crank coming to eat their brains.

The group circled around the stranger cautiously. Gladers tried to meet the eyes of the person but the fabric around their face was risen just too high. The person removed the glove on their right hand and pulled the fabric away from their eyes.

In that moment, Newt's heart stopped pumping and his lungs stopped taking in air. He'd know those Y/E/C eyes anywhere.

"Aye shuckfaces." The girl quipped and Newt lunged forwards, throwing her to the ground. He fell atop her and hugged tightly, a sob leaving his body. When he finally released, he straddled her and pushed back the fabric from her face with shaky hands.

"I-It's you? It's really you? Y-You're dead?" He asked, his belief still faltering.

"Yeah!" Y/N laughed a little and shuffled out from under Newt, sitting up.

"Where's Aris?" Y/N asked and Newt eyed her suspiciously. How she knew the blue eyed boy, he didn't know, but he sure didn't like it.

"Right here." The boy slumped down beside her in the sand and Y/N hugged him tight. Newt sat with wide eyes, looking to Thomas for answers he didn't have.

"How the shuck does he know you?!" Minho piped up and Y/N laughed.

"He's my little brother! We could talk to each other telepathically ever since I got to the Glade. He helped me out of the maze that night, then through the WICKED compound, and then told me to meet you guys here."

Everyone was baffled.

"And you DIDN'T tell us she was alive?!" Thomas barked at Aris and the blue eyed boy cowered.

"I asked him not to. You guys might not have believed him. That would've just caused problems and you know it." Y/N looked at Minho suggestively and he rolled his eyes.

"Well, you're back, that's all that bloody matters." Newt lifted Y/N off of the ground and held her closely once again. They still had a long ways to go, but Newt didn't care. Nothing meant more than having Y/N back in his arms once more.