Thomas [3]

Being a Medjack came with a wide array of advantages and disadvantages. It meant being allowed to stay in the shade of the hut all day long while others worked out in the scorching sun. It meant that, even though injuries had to be dealt with, Y/N got to know each and every one of the Gladers. However, it also entailed tending to some of the most ridiculous injuries possible.

But she had one reoccurring visitor. A day never passed in which he didn't step into that hut at least once. Of all of the Gladers, it was the last someone would expect.

Thomas. He showed up in the hut everyday to be treated for everything from splinters, to small bruises, to cuts which hardly needed a bandage. He'd always stop by before leaving for the maze and always come back in the evening with something else needing attention. He blamed his reoccurring visits on his fear of blood. Though, everyone knew that was a lie. Especially seeing as how the only person he would allow to treat him was Y/N.

It was just before dinner when a light tap came at the medjack hut door. Based on how quiet their knock had been, the three medjacks already knew who it was.

"Come in, Thomas." Jeff grumbled. "Y/N's over there." He tossed his thumb over his shoulder, pointing to the girl who sat tending to one of the builders.

"Might I suggest... just not trying to cut a piece of wood with a hammer?" She asked hopefully, a grimace on her face. How this boy came to the conclusion that a hammer could be successfully utilized to cut a piece of wood in half, she had no clue. But there would be a scar on his shin where the wood had left a nasty gash to remind him not to try again.

"Yeah ok." The builder agreed as he stood up to leave, sending Y/N a quick wave. Back off to work he went. This time, hopefully with a saw.

"So, what'd you do this time, Thomas?" Y/N raised a brow and smiled mischievously.

"I cut my hand." He said shyly. Y/N motioned for the dark haired boy to sit on the cot as she pulled out the usual supplies for cuts. When she turned, Thomas had his hand held tight against his chest. This confused Y/N a little, especially seeing as how he usually held his injuries up proudly.

"Can I see?" Y/N asked.

Thomas' lip quivered a little as he began to release his balled fist. Inside was a bloodied piece of fabric he'd been griping tight and pulled it away, grimacing.

"Geez, Thomas, why didn't you come back sooner?" Y/N scrunched her face up, looking at the cut. Thomas had a long, deep gash spreading from the base of his index finger to the heel of his palm.

"I didn't think it was that bad."

Y/N made sure her eyes met his. "That bad? Thomas you've come here for bruises and here you've nearly sliced your hand in half."

"Sorry."

Y/N laughed lightly. "It's ok. I'm glad you're alright."

"Is Jeff mad at me?" Thomas questioned as Y/N cleaned the wound. The girl shrugged a little.

"I don't think he's mad. Maybe just annoyed at how often you show up here." Y/N rolled her eyes. Thomas did spend a lot of time in here, but it wasn't like he was causing any real trouble. Better in here than out there, arguing with Gally.

"Yeah, well, I don't regret it." He looked up at the girl and smiled sheepishly. "I like you. A lot." He said under his breath. 

Then, Thomas froze. He realized what he'd said. "I-I mean I like you when you help me because Clint and Jeff always make things worse and I don'tlikethemasmcuh." He muttered, lowering his now reddened face. He could't believe what he'd said.

Y/N scoffed with a little smile. She was surprised Thomas finally slipped up. It was no secret to her or her fellow medjacks why Thomas always showed up here for the most harmless injuries. He couldn't stay away.

"Yeah, I figured." She laughed.